Ladies fall to Capital University despite second half surge

Ladies lacrosse, in the midst of a five game homestand, lost 11-10 to the Capital University Crusaders last night to drop their season record to 4-4. The game marked the end of the team’s non-North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) portion of the schedule, as all of the team’s remaining games will determine the NCAC standings and postseason picture.

While the Ladies scored first Wednesday night on a goal by Allie McLane ’17 less than three minutes into the game, the lead did not last long. The Crusaders scored the next seven goals, including four from Capital junior Kara Hines to take a 7-1 lead. A goal from Maggie Grabowski ’20 with 48 seconds left in the first half cut the deficit down to five, which stood into halftime.

A Crusader goal one minute and 33 seconds into the second period extended Capital’s lead to six, but the Ladies took over the game from there. The Ladies scored the next three goals and five of the next six, putting them within two goals with 15 minutes left. The Crusaders scored once again to stay three goals ahead, but the Ladies were not done fighting back. Goals from Kat Englert ’18 and Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 brought the Ladies within one, and Englert scored once again with four minutes left to tie the game.

Despite their best efforts, the Ladies could not finish off the comeback. Fewer than two minutes after Englert’s game-tying goal, the Crusaders scored to jump ahead and locked down defensively over the final three minutes to seal the game.  Englert led the team with three goals and Lucy Somers ’19 had four assists in the loss.

Prior to the Ladies’ loss to the Crusaders, the team last played on March 22, when an offensive explosion carried them to a 17-10 victory over the Ohio Northern University (ONU) Polar Bears. In the victory, McLane ’17 scored three times, but Englert also made three goals to move into sixth place on the all-time Ladies career scoring list.

Of the Ladies’ eight remaining games, four are at home, a location where the team feels they have a competitive advantage. “Our team [definitely] plays better when we have the home field advantage,” Kylie Daniels ’19 wrote in an email to the Collegian on Wednesday. “It allows more fans to come and support us. Additionally, we are one of the only teams that practices on grass, instead of turf, so when we play on Mavec [Field] we have the advantage with ground balls.”

The Ladies will next play on Saturday, when they will host the College of Wooster on Mavec Field at 1 p.m. to open their NCAC season.