Despite disappointing start to season, lacrosse still hopeful

On Saturday, the Kenyon men’s lacrosse team hosted their senior night, losing 11-9 in a valiant effort against regionally-ranked Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) on McBride Field. The game saw even play through the final three quarters, but it was OWU’s two-point lead out of the first quarter that made the difference.

Ohio Wesleyan is ranked 14th in the NCAA’s Southern Region and is receiving votes in the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) Coaches’ Poll, which determines national rankings.

Faring well-though falling short-against one of the most competitive teams in the conference has convinced the Lords of their capabilities and ignited the desire to show their potential.

While it is a good sign that the Lords could hang tough with a top team, “It’s better that we know we can beat them,” James Cook ’20 said. He looks forward to an opportunity to strike revenge against OWU’s Battling Bishops, though the teams will not play again in the regular season this year.

Now that the team has arrived at the halfway point in their season, the Lords find themselves at 3-4, securing impressive eight-point wins against both Ohio Northern University and DePauw University and suffering close defeats to Albion College and Aurora University.

“It is tough to have the record that we have,” Noah Gurzenski ’17 said. He added that the Lords’ record, coupled with the hard-fought battle against OWU, will motivate the Lords to “show that the game against Ohio Wesleyan was not a fluke, and that’s the Kenyon team you’re going to see into the playoffs,” he said.

Over spring break, the Lords traveled to Maryland in a trip that included a 20-10 loss to Brooklandsville, Md. to take on Franklin and Marshall College, a team ranked ninth in the NCAA’s Southern Region and receiving votes in the USILA Coaches national rankings. The Lords’ second game against Washington College (Chestertown, Md.) was canceled due to inclement weather.

To kick off the second half of the season, the Lords face Wabash College this Saturday in Crawfordsville, Ind., a chance for them to show they are willing to bring the same effort ay in and day out thatthey delivered against Ohio Wesleyan. The Lords are hoping their unique mix of young talent and experience will take them far.

“We have good chemistry,” Cook said. “Older guys are definitely leading the way, but we are stockpiled in the freshman and sophomore classes too.”

For Gurzenski, team success is all about translating this talent and chemistry into results on the field. “Being able to play with a bit more swagger, intensity and confidence” is crucial to this goal, he said. “We definitely have the talent to compete at the top of the conference.”