Baseball unconventional in win

After returning from their spring training games in Florida two weeks ago, Lords baseball opened up the second half of their season with a 4-3 victory over the Muskingum University Fighting Muskies on Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon’s game in New Concord, Ohio was an unusual one strategy-wise for the Lords, as the team used 10 different pitchers to shut down the opposing hitters and raise the team’s record to 8-9.

After being held scoreless through two innings by the Muskingum starting pitcher Bryce Husted, the Lords’ offense broke out with two runs in the top of the third inning. Nine hitter and third baseman Matt Contreras ’19 led off the frame with a base hit. After a flyout by leadoff hitter Matt von Roemer ’18, Contreras stole second base and advanced to third on a throwing error by the Muskingum catcher. Designated hitter Jono Chafe ’17 drove in Contreras with a triple to put the Lords on the board and then scored on a groundout by right fielder Mikey Arman ’18 to put Kenyon up 2-0.

Contreras was also responsible for jump starting the Lords’ rally in the top of the fifth, when he led off the inning with a double, his second hit of the game. Von Roemer walked to set up Chafe, who laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance both runners into scoring position. Arman knocked in Contreras with another groundball to short, and von Roemer followed by scoring on a passed ball during the next at bat.

On the mound, the Lords were dominant in eight of the nine innings. Brad Clegg ’20 drew the start on the mound, and he was followed by Tyler Roldan ’17 (1-0), who earned the win with a scoreless second inning. The next three innings, thrown by three different Lords, were scoreless as well. With the Lords ahead 4-0 in the bottom of the sixth, the Fighting Muskies scored three runs off of Kai Long ’20, who struggled with his control and allowed three runs without recording an out. Long was relieved by Will Oakley ’20, who got the Lords out of the inning still holding onto a lead.

Connor Farrell ’17 pitched a dominant bottom of the seventh with two strikeouts, before being relieved by Luke Calcei ’18, who held the Fighting Muskies off the board despite allowing a double. Jesse Bogacz ’18, usually a starting pitcher, struck out two in the bottom of the ninth to pick up the first save of his collegiate career and secure the win for the Lords.

The Lords’ season has not gone exactly as planned, with the team having a sub-.500 record 17 games in, but the team won eight of their last 12 games.

“So far the season has been inconsistent, but that comes with a lot of young guys getting their first college experience,” Farrell said earlier this week. “But the win against Muskingum [Tuesday] was a really solid team win. We were getting ready for our conference series this weekend so it was great to get a bunch of guys on the mound.”

The Lords will begin the North Coast Athletic Conference portion of their schedule on Saturday afternoon, when they will travel to Meadville, Pa. to play Allegheny College four times in two days.