Women’s basketball win streak comes to an end at Oberlin

The Ladies basketball team’s winning streak came to an end Wednesday night with a 52-41 loss to the Oberlin Yeowomen at Oberlin. With the loss, the Ladies fell to 16-6 overall and 10-3 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). None of the Ladies scored in double digits in the loss, with guard Paige Matijasich ’20 leading the team with nine points.

On Saturday, Ladies basketball had extended their winning streak to a season-best seven games with a 71-67 victory over the Ohio Wesleyan University Battling Bishops. While the team was aided by its usual cast of contributors, the key to victory was the superior play of their bench. The Ladies’ backups outscored their Ohio Wesleyan counterparts 38-3, making up for the strong performance by the starters of the Battling Bishops.

Matijasich has brought playmaking and energy off of the bench all season, but she brought that and more on Saturday, scoring a career-high 16 points on 50 percent shooting from the field. Matijasich hit three of her six shots from long range, while also contributing on the defensive end with seven rebounds and a block. Bailey Dominguez ’17, who leads the team in scoring overall this season, chipped in 10 points, while forward Griffin Tullis ’18 and  guard Jessica Gerber ’19 each had 13 points.

Head Coach Suzanne Helfant had nothing but praise for her first-year guard. “[Matijasich] has been a solid contributor for us all year long,” Helfant said on Wednesday. “She has been able to execute the game plan without having to think through things as much.”

Matijasich is the only first year on the team this season, and has “added a level of energy and enthusiasm that far exceeds what we [have] become accustomed to from new players,” Helfant said.

The Ladies will next play Depauw University on Saturday afternoon against at 1 p.m. It will be the final regular season home game for the team’s seniors — Sidney Cera, Emma Schurink, Miranda Diesz, Charlotte Bussema and Dominguez — who will be honored prior to the game for their years of playing for the Ladies.