Lords basketball continues to struggle on the defensive end

Lords basketball fell to Oberlin College 80-60 last night, their sixth loss in the last seven games. In the defeat, the Lords shot just 36.5 percent while allowing the Yeoman to score at a clip of 56.1 percent. The Lords were outplayed overall by Oberlin, but the Lords did dominate the offensive glass with 16 offensive rebound as as a team. Will Sigl ’18 grabbed five offensive boards and eight rebounds overall in just 10 minutes.

Prior to their loss at Oberlin last night, the Lords lost to Ohio Wesleyan University at home on Saturday afternoon. The Lords jumped out to an early lead thanks to their hot shooting and led 21-9 after seven minutes. The OWU Battling Bishops fought back and were winning 43-41 at halftime. Although the Lords had relinquished their lead, they only trailed by two points, despite the extraordinary shooting of Ohio Wesleyan junior Will Orr, who scored 20 points in the first half on six made three-pointers. Orr, who is a 39.7 percent shooter from three this season, hit six of his eight attempts.

The Lords contained Orr for the rest of the game, as the junior wing only attempted one shot in the second half, but could not hold down the rest of the Ohio Wesleyan team. In what is becoming a familiar script, the Lords allowed the Battling Bishops to get on a 22-2 run early in the second half, and were outscored 49-30 overall in the period. At the time, the Lords fell to 5-16 overall and 4-10 in the NCAC with the loss, while Ohio Wesleyan tied Wooster for the top spot in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) with a record of 12-2.

“We have had a hard time absorbing other teams’ runs in the second half, some due in part to our youth and depth, and some due to the quality of teams we have been playing,” Head Coach Dan Priest said.

Despite the disappointing loss at home, there were some individual bright spots for Kenyon. Bennett Grigull ’18 scored a career high 24 points against Ohio Wesleyan, surpassing his previous high of 21 points. Grigull also led the Lords with seven rebounds.

The Lords have also been playing without one of their biggest contributors the last two games. Guard Matt Shifrin ’19, who has averaged 9.8PPG and 4.1APG this season, fractured his ankle last week against Wittenberg and may miss the rest of the season. While Priest understands better than anyone the significance of losing Shifrin, he acknowledged that his team remains in a decent position with the strong play of first-year guard Ryan O’Neil.

The Lords will play on Saturday afternoon at home in their senior game against DePauw University at 3 p.m. Ethan Shapiro ’17 will play his final regular season home game.