Lords win NCAC first seed, Ladies end season in semi-finals

No. 19 Bri Maggard ’19 shields the ball against Wheaton. | Cat Smith

Men’s Soccer

With their win over Wabash College on Saturday, the Lords have clinched the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) men’s soccer season title for the second season in a row. The Lords (16-2; NCAC 8-1) went on to dominate DePauw University (11-5-2; NCAC 6-3) in yesterday’s semi-finals of the NCAC tournament.

Kenyon grabbed the title with a 1-0 win over Wabash (11-5-2; NCAC 6-2-1) to finish the season with a 15-2 overall record. In a defensive struggle, Kenyon took only 14 shots, one of the lowest shot counts for the team this season. The scoreless draw was broken in the 62nd minute when Henry Myers ’18 headed a cross from Dalton Eudy ’17 into the back of the net. With the goal, the Lords claimed their NCAC season title and the number one seed in the NCAC tournament.

In the NCAC semi-finals yesterday, the Lords faced DePauw, one of the two teams that defeated them this season. The Lords opened the match on uneasy footing, allowing a goal in the eighth minute of the game on a free kick just outside the 18-yard box. The Kenyon offense ignited soon after seniors Tony Amolo and Jordan Glassman entered the game and showered the DePauw keeper in shots. Kenyon knotted the game up in the 19th minute when Amolo slotted the ball past the keeper on a breakaway, scoring the 50th goal of his Kenyon career. The Lords struck again just two minutes later, when Bret Lowry ’19 flicked a throw in over the outreached hand of the goalie, putting the Lords up 2-1. On the other side of the ball, Sam Clougher ’17 came up huge for the Lords with two breakaway saves to keep Kenyon in the game.

The Lords were not done yet, scoring twice more in the second half, with Josh Lee ’17 and Brice Koval ’19 solidifying the win.

The team now moves into the NCAC finals for the fourth year in a row, but this does not change how the Lords approach each game.

“The team is preparing for the postseason in a similar way which we prepared for our games towards the end of the season,” Myers said. “We felt that each game has been a must-win for a couple of weeks now.”

The Lords will play Oberlin College (15-3-1; NCAC 7-2) in the NCAC finals on Saturday in Gambier.

Women’s Soccer

The Ladies (6-10-2; NCAC 4-3-1) could not stop the Wheaton College (12-7; Wheaton, Ill.) attack in their regular season finale on Saturday, allowing six goals en route to a 6-3 defeat. Kenyon still made the NCAC tournament as the fourth seed, but the Ladies’ season was not extended for long. Yesterday, Wittenberg University (13-3-2; NCAC 7-1) defeated Kenyon 3-0 and eliminated the Ladies from the tournament.

On her Senior Day against Wheaton, the Ladies’ lone senior, Maggie Smith, found the corner of the net in the 20th minute for her 11th goal of the season, tying the game up at one. Ten minutes later, Wheaton went up by one again. But just seconds afterward, Morgan Engmann ’20 dribbled through a crowd of Wheaton defenders and found the back of the net to tie the score at two apiece.

In the second half, the Ladies’ defense could not halt a persistent Wheaton offense, which rattled off a series of three goals in 20 minutes. With the Ladies down 5-2, both teams finished off one more goal to end the game with a loss for the Ladies. Despite the tough loss, the Ladies still moved to the NCAC tournament as the fourth seed.

The Ladies could not stop the high-powered offense of Wittenberg in the NCAC semi-finals, going down 2-0 in the first half on their way to a tough 3-0 loss to the number one seed of the tournament. In the first half Wittenberg started off hot, ripping off three shots in the first ten minutes of the game and finally breaking through the Ladies defense in the 20th and 21st minute of the game. Kenyon could not muster a shot against the stout Wittenberg defense in the first half.

In the second half the Ladies picked up the offensive fight, creating opportunities with a handful of corners and firing off five shots, but goals eluded the Ladies. Wittenberg tallied one more goal for good measure in the 72nd minute of the match, ending the hopes of a comeback for Kenyon.

This loss ended the Ladies’ chances of continuing their postseason run and season. Kenyon will now turn to the 2017 season, in which they will welcome back every player but one, star forward Smith.