Section: Football

Lords get hit by Tigers

On Saturday, Lords football traveled to Springfield, Ohio to face a formidable opponent: the Wittenberg University Tigers, ranked 22nd in the nation. Turning the ball over on five occasions, Kenyon (3-6; NCAC 2-6) gave the Tigers (8-1; NCAC 7-1) ample opportunity to wear down the Lords’ defense and run away with a 64-17 victory.

“The turnovers killed us,” Head Coach Chris Monfiletto said. “They put our defense in really bad positions and they [Wittenberg] pressed a little bit, and it wasn’t good.”

At the outset, both teams capitalized on each other’s turnovers by trading field goals to tie the score at 3-3. Later in the first quarter, Wittenberg took a 10-3 lead after the Tigers’ quarterback connected with his receiver on a post route for a 33-yard score. Responding in electrifying fashion, the Kenyon defense evened the score at 10 when Saxon Justice ’17 exploded through the Wittenberg front line and blocked the Tigers’ punt attempt. Jamal Perkins ’17 proceeded to scoop up the football and dash 17 yards into the endzone for the touchdown.

With the score 10-10 at the start of the second quarter, Wittenberg embarked  on a devastating offensive tear, scoring 38 unanswered points. At the 8:02 mark in the third quarter, Thomas Merkle ’20 ended Kenyon’s scoring drought with a 37-yard touchdown pass to Brian Hunca ’17 in the back-left corner of the endzone, making the score 48-17. That would be Kenyon’s final scoring play of the game, as the Tigers added two more touchdowns and a safety en route to their 64-17 dismantling of the Lords.

The Lords will next celebrate Senior Day as they close out their 2016 season this Saturday against Denison University (7-2; NCAC 6-2) at 1 p.m. on McBride Field.