Section: Football

Lords football losing streak continues against Fighting Scots

On Saturday, Lords football dropped a 41-16 game to the College of Wooster Fighting Scots. Catalyzed by a potent run game, the Fighting Scots (3-5; NCAC 3-4) punished Kenyon’s (3-5; NCAC 2-5) defense late in drives throughout the afternoon, registering four touchdowns on third-and-fourth-down opportunities. Despite out-gaining Wooster in the air, the Lords struggled to move the ball in critical situations, succeeding on only four of 15 third-down-conversion attempts and on only one of four fourth-down-conversion attempts.

Receiving the opening kickoff, Kenyon’s offense got right to work, moving down to Wooster’s 10-yard line. The Lords took a 3-0 lead courtesy of a 21-yard field goal off the foot of Szabi Simo ’17.

On the ensuing drive, Wooster’s quarterback gave his team a 7-3 lead by hitting one of his teammates on a slant route for a 14-yard touchdown.

Later in the first quarter, Wooster extended their lead to 14-3 with an 89-yard punt return for a touchdown. In the second quarter, Wooster’s running back burst through a hole in the Kenyon defensive line for an 80-yard rushing touchdown.

Wooster failed to convert on the point-after-touchdown attempt, but the Fighting Scots still held a 20-3 lead over the Lords. Wooster continued to wallop Kenyon on the ground as the quarter wore on, running a draw play on fourth-down-and-goal to get into the endzone and take a 27-3 lead.

With Wooster’s team facing a fourth-down-and-17 with just under two minutes remaining in the first half, it looked as if the Fighting Scots’ offense had reached an impasse. Unfortunately for Kenyon, Wooster’s quarterback dealt a devastating blow to the Lords, finding a teammate in the back right corner of the endzone for the 28-yard score.

Lofting a 15-yard pass toward the back of the endzone into the arms of Jibri McLean ’17, Thomas Merkle ’20 broke Wooster’s 34-0 run to make the score 34-10 before halftime.

With No. 40 John Clark ’18 blocking, No. 9 Ian Bell ’18 drives up the sideline at Wooster. | Shane Canfield

Wooster took to the ground on their first possession of the third quarter and increased their lead to 41-10 following a 52-yard rushing touchdown. Rob Meagher ’19 responded with a two-yard touchdown run later in the third quarter, but a failed two-point-conversion kept the score at 41-16.

Kenyon made two trips to the red zone in the final quarter of play, but failed to come away with points on both occasions in the loss.

Lords football returns to action this Saturday when they travel to Springfield, Ohio to take on the Wittenberg University Tigers (7-1; NCAC 6-1) at 1 p.m. Wittenberg is ranked 23rd in the nation in NCAA Division III football. Intent on getting his team back in the win column, Head Coach Chris Monfiletto hopes the Lords will stay within striking distance throughout next Saturday’s game.

“I thought that we competed pretty well against them last year, and I’d like to see us do that again,” Monfiletto said. “It’s going to be a close game, and if we can keep it close into the fourth quarter then we can give ourselves a chance to be competitive.”