Ladies find hot hands in home win

Ladies find hot hands in home win

Griffin Tullis ’18 snags a rebound against Muskingum. | Cat Smith

On Tuesday the Ladies basketball team kicked off its season with a win over the Muskingum University Fighting Muskies. Due to a high-scoring third quarter and efficient free-throw shooting, Kenyon (1-0; NCAC 0-0) pulled away from Muskingum (0-1; New Concord, Ohio) to claim the 68-57 victory at home.

Bailey Dominguez ’17 led Kenyon in scoring with 14 points, but Griffin Tullis ’18 did the dirty work, not only scoring 13 points but also pulling down 10 rebounds and securing five steals. Prior to the season, Head Coach Suzanne Helfant referenced the team’s depth as a strength this season. That depth was on full display Tuesday night, with Jessica Gerber ’19 and Charlotte Bussema ’17 coming off the bench to provide 10 and eight points respectively.

The Ladies started hot, with Dominguez nailing a three-pointer just 30 seconds into the first quarter. The story of the first half, however, was Muskingum’s shooting. The Fighting Muskies were on a roll early in the second quarter and, at one point, led the Ladies by six. Though Kenyon continually got second-chance points and quality opportunities in the paint from their pick-and-roll gameplay, the Fighting Muskies outscored them 20-14 in the second quarter to go into halftime leading 31-29.

Kenyon pulled ahead with a slew of three straight three-pointers midway through the third period. Three-point shooting was the story of the second half: After only making two of 11 shots from behind the arc in the first half, the Ladies unleashed five three-pointers to swing the momentum in their favor. Despite Muskingum’s best efforts, Kenyon’s discipline on defense, marked by their 11 steals, kept the Fighting Muskies from closing the gap.

In the end, Kenyon pulled away with composure at the free-throw line. The Ladies did not miss any of their eight free throws in the second half, and a calm and collected Sidney Cera ’17 closed out the game, going four-for-four from the line in the final minute when Muskingum intentionally fouled.

The Ladies travel to Anderson, Ind. this weekend to take part in the Anderson University (0-1) Tip-Off invitational. Kenyon will play its first game of the invitational tomorrow against Marietta College (0-1; Marietta, Ohio).