Wynn sinks second game-winner for men’s soccer

No. 3 Josh Lee ’17 heads the ball against Hiram. | Shane Canfield

The Lords faced off against North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponents Denison University and Hiram College, winning both games and raising their record to 12-2. Kenyon (12-2; NCAC 5-1) won 1-0 at Denison (5-7-2; NCAC 2-3-1) on Oct. 15 and defeated Hiram (5-7-2; NCAC 2-4) at home on Wednesday by a score of 3-1.

The Lords faced off against the Denison Big Red in a tumultuous game that featured 30 fouls, seven yellow cards and a red card for each team. The first half was evenly matched, with each side launching four shots. After the 30th minute, when sophomore Alberto Carmona received a red card, the Lords were forced to play a man down. Denison also received a red card that arrived in the 89th minute of the game.

In the second half, the Lords stepped up the pressure, unleashing 16 shots compared to Denison’s three. Around the 60-minute mark, the Lords connected on one of these shots. David Anderson ’19 sent in a corner kick that bounced to the feet of Oliver Wynn ’18, who tallied his second game-winning goal in a row.

“It was a gritty win by the team,” Defender Billy O’Neill ’18 said. “After going a man down, the team really pulled together to get the W.”

The Lords put together another solid performance against Hiram, taking a total of 36 shots on goal — compared to seven for Hiram — and connecting on three of those shots. Jordan Glassman ’17 notched two for the Lords, coming in the fourth and 56th minute of the game while Henry Myers ’18 scored in the 19th minute. The Lords could not keep the shutout, however, as Hiram scored in the 62nd minute of the match.

The Lords look to hold onto their first-place standing in the NCAC as the November conference championship approaches. They play their final three games of the regular season against Allegheny College (4-9-2; NCAC 2-4) at home on Saturday, Ohio Wesleyan University (8-3-3; NCAC 3-1-2) at home on Tuesday and Wabash College (9-4-2; NCAC 4-1-1) in Crawfordsville, Ind. on Oct. 29.