Volleyball soars in meteoric season

With seven games left in the regular season, Kenyon volleyball is already one win away from reaching last season’s total. The Ladies (14-6; NCAC 3-1) split a pair of games at Millikin University’s (17-4; Decatur, Ill.) annual Linda Slagell Dig for the Cure Classic last weekend, pushing their record to 14-6. For her impact on the games,  Delaney Swanson ’19 was selected as North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Player of the Week, which made her the first Kenyon volleyball player to receive the honor twice in one year.

The tournament started off slow for Kenyon. The Ladies fell in three sets to Greenville College (17-5; Greenville, Ill.), failing to match Greenville’s efficient offense. Kenyon committed 20 errors and tallied just 26 kills, compared to Greenville’s 11 errors and 43 kills.

“One thing we struggle with is getting off a long bus ride and playing to our full potential,” Schuyler Stupica ’19 said.

The Ladies pulled together to fight for a win against Westminster College (13-7; Fulton, Mo.). After falling behind one set to two, the Ladies pushed the match to a fifth set, which they won 15-11. Swanson contributed 18 kills to the Ladies’ total of 47.

Head Coach Amanda Krampf saw her players shake off the loss and return to a winning mentality. “We play best when we’re a high-intensity team, when we’re really energetic and kind of loose and having fun,” she said.

The Ladies will face another long bus ride when they play DePauw University (15-4; NCAC 4-1) Saturday in Greencastle, Ind. They fell to DePauw in both matches last year, but Krampf is optimistic. “I’m really excited about the match,” she said. “They’re a really strong team, but I think that we are, too. We really want to make a statement in the conference. We’re not done yet.”