Playoffs in sight for Kenyon soccer

Playoffs in sight for Kenyon soccer

Lords hold onto first

Lords soccer extended its win streak to six games against Allegheny College and Ohio Wesleyan University, dismantling the two squads 4-2 and 2-0.

On Senior Day Saturday, the Lords (14-2; NCAC 7-1) honored their seniors with the victory over the Allegheny Gators (5-10-2; NCAC 3-5). In the 22nd minute, Oliver Wynn ’18 struck for the Lords, pushing the ball into the back of the net after teammate Bret Lowry ’19 flicked a throw-in into the box. The Gators fought back to tie the game up 10 minutes later, but the Lords were ready to respond. The team surged in the second half: Philippe Stengel ’20, David Anderson ’19 and Dalton Eudy ’17 all scored  goals and solidified the Kenyon win.

Against rival Ohio Wesleyan (9-4-3; NCAC 4-2-2), the Lords provided the home crowd with another exciting win, scoring two goals on 20 shots, compared to no goals on four shots for the visitors. The scoring began with Lowry, who headed a ball off the underside of the crossbar and watched it sneak over the goal line. The Lords doubled their lead just before halftime, when Stengel put away his second goal of the season. The Lords kept up their defensive pressure and the game ended in a 2-0 win for Kenyon.

The upcoming 2016 NCAC Men’s Soccer Tournament will give the Lords a chance to defend the conference title they won last year. Kenyon can clinch the first seed in the tournament in their final game of the season against the Wabash College Little Giants (11-4-2; NCAC 6-1-1), who sit at second in the conference, on Saturday in Crawfordsville, Ind.

Ladies lose on own goal

Ladies soccer lost 1-0 to Ohio Wesleyan University yesterday on the heels of a deflating 2-1 loss to Allegheny College on Saturday. Despite controlling most of the Saturday match, the Ladies  (6-8-2; NCAC 4-3-1) lost to Allegheny (6-9-1; NCAC 4-3-1 NCAC) due to an own goal in double overtime.

Kenyon outshot Allegheny 21-7 over the course of the match, but the Ladies only scored once with a goal in the 26th minute of the match. After receiving the ball on the right side of the box, senior Maggie Smith beat one defender then slid the ball into the lower right hand corner of the goal, putting Kenyon up 1-0.

The Ladies lost their slim lead when Allegheny slotted a ball past keeper Jillian Countey ’20 to tie the game at one apiece. The teams remained tied and headed to overtime. In the second overtime period, on their only corner kick of the match, Allegheny played a high ball toward the back post of Kenyon’s goal. Countey and another Kenyon player attempted to clear the ball, but they miscommunicated and the ball deflected into the back of the Kenyon net, ending the game 2-1 in favor of the visiting team.

In the loss yesterday,  Ohio Wesleyan (6-10; NCAC 3-4) scored the eventual game-winner just over five minutes into the game. The Ladies continued the game with a strong offensive push, outshooting Ohio Wesleyan 17-10, but could not sink a goal.  Seven of Kenyon’s shots were on-target, but Ohio Wesleyan’s keeper saved all seven.

Despite the losses, Smith remains focused on the road ahead. “At this point in the season we have a comfortable rhythm and are extremely focused on winning every game at hand,” Smith said.

On Saturday the Ladies will play their final game of the regular season at home against Wheaton College (10-7; Wheaton, Ill.) before beginning their postseason with the 2016 North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Women’s Soccer Tournament.