Lords soccer holds the throne, Ladies undefeated in NCAC

Gillian Blackwell ’18 launched a corner kick at Mavec Field in yesterday’s 3-1 defeat of Hiram College. The victory moved the Ladies’ NCAC record to 3-0-1. | Cat Smith

Lords snap skid

After a tough and unexpected loss to DePauw University, the Kenyon men’s soccer team snapped a two-game skid with a dominating win against the College of Wooster and a nail-biter against Oberlin College.

Kenyon (10-2; NCAC 3-1), despite opportunities to score, could not respond in the first half after DePauw (7-3-2; NCAC 2-2) scored from a free kick on the edge of the 18-yard line. The second half brought more of the same, with the Lords unable to score a goal. In the 72nd minute of the game, DePauw netted another one, doubling their lead. Henry Myers ’18 soon gave Kenyon its first goal, but it was too little too late for the Lords, who tallied their second straight loss.

The Lords returned to form against Wooster (4-8-1; NCAC 1-3), dismantling the Fighting Scots 5-1. In the 18th minute of the game, forward Tony Amolo ’17 put the first goal on the board, following a ball deflected by the Scots keeper. Wooster matched the goal quickly, scoring just under two minutes later to knot the game at one apiece. The rest of the game was all Lords, however, as sophomores Will Bennett, Brice Koval and Bret Lowry scored another four goals together. 

The Lords pulled off a spectacular last-second win against a strong Oberlin (10-2-1; NCAC 3-1) team, which came into the game with a 10-game win streak. The teams entered overtime tied at 2-2, and in the last eight seconds of the game, the Lords capitalized on a corner kick. Oliver Wynn ’18 scored off the corner as the last second ticked off the clock, giving the Lords their 10th win of the season.

“We just have to take each game one at a time,” Wynn said. “We have to build off of this win and continue to grow.”

On Saturday, the Lords, still at the top of the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) standings, look to add to their win total against Denison University (4-6-2; NCAC 1-2-1), currently fifth in the conference.

Ladies avoid NCAC losses

The Ladies (5-5-2; NCAC 3-0-1) remain unbeaten in the NCAC after a close win against DePauw (4-6-4; NCAC 1-0-3), a tie against Wooster (4-6-4; NCAC 1-0-3) and a win against Hiram College (3-8-2; NCAC 0-4).

Against DePauw, Kenyon’s Maggie Smith ’17 scored the lone goal, just 78 seconds into the game. The defense did the rest of the job for the Ladies, clamping down on the DePauw offense in their second straight shutout. Keeper Jillian Countey ’20 anchored the defense, making six saves in her second career clean sheet.

The Ladies followed up with a strong performance against Wooster. Smith, again, scored the only goal for Kenyon off a free kick by Heather Pacheco ’18 in the 22nd minute. Shortly after the goal, the Ladies ran into trouble. Maia Emden ’19 received a red card and left the game, forcing the Ladies to continue with just ten players for over 80 minutes. While Kenyon’s defense held tight for the majority of the game, Wooster broke through  with a goal in the 85th minute, forcing the game into overtime.

Despite chances for both squads, neither team could break through in overtime, ending the game in a 1-1 draw.

The Ladies followed up the draw with a dominant 3-1 performance against Hiram. Just two minutes into the game, Emma Klug ’18 struck first for the Ladies, and Bri Maggard ’19 solidified the Kenyon win with two more goals in the 17th and 42nd minutes, respectively. Hiram took back one goal in the second half but could not muster up enough offense to break the stout Ladies defense.

The Ladies will face more NCAC foes next week, playing against Denison (6-3-1; NCAC 3-0-1) on Saturday and Oberlin (5-5-1; NCAC 0-2-1) on Oct. 18.