Ladies double down in two victories

Ladies double down in two victories

Sam Grunder ’19, here in an Oct. 1 game against Denison University, scored the game-winning goal against Christopher Newport Unviersity in overtime on Thursday. | Courtesy of Kenyon Athletics

Last week, Head Field Hockey Coach Jacqueline DeMarco set the record for most wins as a field hockey coach in Kenyon’s history. The record-setting win came on Thursday when the Ladies (9-4; NCAC 7-2) emerged from a long, scoreless regulation game to beat Christopher Newport University (10-3; Newport News, Va.) 1-0 in overtime. Kenyon gave an even stronger showing on Saturday, defeating the College of Wooster (5-8; NCAC 3-5) with a score of 4-1.

“We’ve had a really good breakthrough week as team,” DeMarco said. “It’s nice to see us making good connections.”

The game against CNU became a goalkeeping showcase by Sarah Speroff ’18, who earned 15 saves in regulation. At first, Kenyon was unable to keep off the pressure as they allowed 16 shots on goal, compared to just three of their own. But the Ladies persevered, not allowing any of those shots to find their way into the net. Kenyon pushed the game to overtime, and within the first two minutes, the Ladies dispatched the Captains with a goal by Sam Grunder ’19.

“[CNU] was really connected as a team, and we just wore them down the whole time,” DeMarco said.

Sam Grunder ’19, here in an Oct. 1 game against Denison University, scored the game-winning goal against Christopher Newport University in overtime on Thursday. | Courtesy of Kenyon Athletics

Kenyon’s offense had more breathing room on Saturday as they downed Wooster with 13 shots on goal. Weezie Foster ’18 wound up with a hat trick, which helped her earn North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Player of the Week honors Monday. Katelyn Hutchinson ’18 scored the fourth goal of the game off a penalty corner.

The Ladies will cap off the rest of their regular season with five more NCAC games. The first is Saturday in Springfield, Ohio against Wittenberg University (7-5; NCAC 5-3), a team Kenyon barely beat in overtime on Sept. 18.