Field hockey brings victory to McBride Field on Senior Day

In a battle of perennial North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) powers, Ladies field hockey hosted the DePauw University Tigers at McBride Field on Saturday. Avenging their 2-0 loss to Kenyon (12-5; 10-3 NCAC) earlier in the season, DePauw (14-3; NCAC 11-1) scored late in the game to top the Ladies 2-1. The Ladies then celebrated Senior Day on Sunday with a 3-0 win over the Earlham College Quakers (6-11; 3-9 NCAC) to stay in second place in the NCAC.

After a scoreless first half on Saturday, a DePauw forward broke the deadlock at the 53:15 mark, bouncing a shot off the glove of Kenyon goalkeeper Sarah Speroff ’18 and into the upper-right corner of the cage. Barely four minutes later, Shannon Hart ’18 unleashed a backhand shot from the left side of the arc, sending the ball through traffic and past DePauw’s goalkeeper for the tying goal.

With fewer than seven minutes remaining in regulation, another DePauw forward dealt the match’s decisive blow, positioning herself in front of the goal and deflecting the ball into the back of the net to give her team a 2-1 advantage. The Tigers managed to keep the Ladies at bay for the remaining six minutes and 39 seconds to earn a DePauw victory.

“I think even though we won the previous meet-up, this past game was one of our better games this whole season,” Paige Beyer ’18 said. “We had a really great effort and I think there were some really great things offensively in the midfield and in the backline, and then [Speroff] had great saves as well.”

Facing the Earlham Quakers the following afternoon, the Ladies were eager to return to the win column. They took advantage of a penalty corner six minutes and 50 seconds into the match, then stole an early 1-0 lead when Kelsey Trulik ’18 shot the ball into traffic and Hannah Paterakis ’19 buried it in the back of the net off a deflection. Katelyn Hutchinson ’18 extended Kenyon’s lead to 2-0 just under five minutes into the second half. Hutchinson gained control of a rebound and maneuvered past an Earlham defender to flick the ball into the back right corner of the goal.

With 31 seconds remaining, Julia Richards ’17 served the ball to fellow senior Anna Petek in front of the goal, and Petek slipped the ball in past the Earlham goalkeeper, ending the 3-0 victory with a bang.

The Ladies will travel to Granville, Ohio this Saturday to take on Denison University (12-4; 9-3 NCAC) at noon. The winner of the game will claim second place in the conference and home-field advantage in the first round of the conference playoffs.