Ladies volleyball rules the roost at Kenyon College Invitational

The Ladies made for fearsome hosts at this weekend’s Kenyon College Invitational, where they lost just one set on their way to a 4-0 rout. The lone dropped set came on Friday against Albion College (7-6; Albion, Mich.), which Kenyon (10-4; NCAC 0-0) beat 3-1. Earlham College (3-11; Richmond, Ind.), Olivet College (5-7; Olivet, Mich.) and Franklin College (8-6; Franklin, Ind.) fell to the Ladies in clean sweeps. The Ladies now boast a 5-0 record at home and the team’s best 13-game start since 1989.

Delaney Swanson ’19 continued to excel as the Ladies’ point-of-attack, leading Kenyon with 10, 14 and 12 kills in the first three matches. In the fourth match, Mackenzie Bruzzio ’20 caught fire with 12 kills and three aces.

So far this season, the Ladies have put opponents on their heels with an overwhelming offense. Kenyon holds a .223 hitting percentage and 549 total kills, both the second-best in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). Head Coach Amanda Krampf credits the team’s efficiency to its aggressiveness.

“We’re trying to put the ball away, we’re making those aggressive plays without fear of making a mistake,” Krampf said.
After the invitational, the Ladies stumbled against Mount Vernon Nazarene University (16-2) on Tuesday, losing 0-3. The loss sets Kenyon’s record at 10-4, good for fourth in the conference standings. The Ladies play their first NCAC opponent, Oberlin (4-5; NCAC 0-0), on the road Friday at 7 p.m.