Kenyon soccer starts season 7-0

Kenyon soccer starts season 7-0

Tony Amolo '17 speeds past Muskingum University defenders on Sept. 14. | Cat Smith

The Kenyon men’s soccer team, currently ranked second in the nation in NCAA Division III men’s soccer, has dismantled every team to cross their path this season.

The Lords (7-0; NCAC 0-0) began their season with a string of shutout wins against Otterbein University (4-2-1; Westerville, Ohio), Heidelberg University (1-5; Tiffin, Ohio) and Catholic University of America (4-4; Washington), scoring a combined six goals. Brice Koval ’19, Henry Myers ’18, Woo Jeon ’18, Dalton Eudy ’17 and Oliver Wynn ’18 all tallied their first goals of the season over the three-game stretch.

“It’s great to see so many different players, from freshman to seniors, getting involved and contributing to the team’s success,” Eudy said.

The Lords faced their first true test against Frostburg State University (3-5; Frostburg, Md.), as they found themselves trailing their opponent for the first time this season. In the 21st minute of the game, a mishit header from a Kenyon defender found its way past keeper Sam Clougher ’17 and into Kenyon’s goal. Ten minutes later, Wynn made up for the mistake with a free kick that slid into the back of the net, knotting up the score once again.

The tie lasted only 20 seconds: Frostburg State responded with another goal, putting the Lords down by one again. This deficit did not daunt the Lords, as seniors Jordan Glassman and Tony Amolo  scored in the 58th and 77th minutes, respectively, to give Kenyon a hard-fought win.

Kenyon followed up this win with a systematic dismantling of Muskingum University (3-4-1; New Concord, Ohio), scoring eight goals in the first half en route to a 9-0 win. The goal scoring was abundant for the Lords, with six different Kenyon players scoring during the rout, including two goals for sophomore Will Bennett and a hat trick for Amolo.

To reach 6-0, the Lords had to fight Thomas More College (4-3; Crestview Hills, Ky.), which proved to be a tough opponent in a physical game that featured 35 fouls, five yellow cards and one red card. The Lords matched the physicality of the game and notched the match’s first — and only — goal in the 43rd minute, with Koval putting away his third goal of the year.

The Lords have put on a spectacular performance so far this season. Offensively, they have fired off 115 shots, scoring 19 of them, as they average a shade over three goals a game. On the other side of the pitch, the Lord’s defense, anchored by Clougher, have claimed six shutouts in the first seven games and have only allowed 46 shots on net.

“We’ve played great this year so far, but our first real challenge is against Centre College,” Defender Billy O’Neil ’18 said after the game against Thomas More. “We need to stay focused and come out ready to compete.”

The Lords met the challenge yesterday and came away with the 1-0 victory over Centre (5-1; Danville, Ky.).

Kenyon looks to remain undefeated this week against Wittenberg University (3-4; NCAC 0-0), their first North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponent of the season, and Case Western Reserve University (3-3-1; Cleveland).