Section: Football

Hiram tamps down on Lords offense, hands Kenyon first loss

Dropping their first contest of the season, Lords football fell to conference foe Hiram College 45-7 on Saturday at Hiram. Keeping Kenyon’s (2-1; NCAC 1-1) potent passing attack in check, the Terriers (1-1; NCAC 1-0) picked apart the Kenyon defense both through the air and on the ground.

Hiram opened up the scoring with a touchdown midway through the first quarter, but the Lords were quick to respond, evening things up on the first play of the ensuing possession.

In Kenyon’s lone scoring play of the game, Co-Captain Brian Hunca ’17 slipped underneath the Hiram secondary, caught a pass from quarterback Thomas Merkle ’20 and left the Terrier defense in the dust as he raced into the end zone for an 81-yard touchdown reception. Merkle finished the game having completed 20 of 36 passes for 251 yards and one touchdown, while Hunca had eight catches for 154 yards and one touchdown in the loss.

The Terriers looked poised to retake the lead later in the first quarter, driving down to the Kenyon three-yard line, but Joe Marabito ’17 pounced on a Hiram fumble to regain possession for the Lords and keep the game tied at 7-7. The Terriers would not be denied, however, regaining the lead early in the second quarter via a 32-yard field goal. Engineering a nine-play, 80-yard scoring drive to close out the first half, Hiram took to the air to register a 32-yard touchdown with just six seconds remaining.

Riding the momentum they had generated at the end of the first half, the Hiram offense registered four touchdowns in the second half, while their defense shut out the Lords the rest of the way to run away with the 45-7 victory.

Head Coach Chris Monfiletto, not satisfied with his team’s quality of play on Saturday, thinks it is imperative that his players demand more from themselves. “We have to take some ownership for what happened on Saturday and translate that into development,” Monfiletto said. “Our leaders have to step up and make sure that what happened on Saturday is not acceptable.”

Lords football returns to McBride Field this Saturday for their homecoming game against Allegheny College (0-3; 0-2 NCAC) at 1 p.m.