First years score for Ladies soccer

First years score for Ladies soccer

A Kenyon player goes head-to-head with a Carleton College player for a loose ball | Courtesy of Flynn Shannon ’20

The Ladies soccer team ended the weekend with a 1-1 double overtime draw against Salisbury University (Salisbury, Md.) and a 2-1 victory over Carleton College (Northfield, Minn.).

Against Salisbury (1-0-3), the first 35 minutes started slowly, with only a few shots fired by the Sea Gulls. But it was the Ladies (2-2-1; NCAC 0-0) who struck first in the 38th minute, when junior Gillian Blackwell’s cross found the head of Gwyneth Phillips ’20, who tucked the ball past the keeper and into the back of the net. Only three minutes later, Salisbury struck back against Kenyon, slotting the ball into the net past keeper Jillian Countey ’20 to tie the game at one goal apiece.

In the second half, despite 12 shots from the Salisbury attack and two from the Ladies, the score remained notched at 1-1 and headed into overtime.

After a slow first overtime, with neither team attempting a shot, the game kicked into a second overtime. The Sea Gulls had a chance to steal the game in the final 10 seconds but pushed the ball just wide of the net, ending the game in a draw.

“[Our] defense did a great job in keeping their composure shot after shot,” Blackwell said. “They kept up their energy as a unit.”

Behind the defense, Countey put in a seven-save performance for the Ladies to keep the draw in her first full game as the Ladies keeper.

Following this draw, the Ladies managed to put Carleton (0-5-2) away with a 2-1 victory.

The Ladies struck quickly in the game when Emma Klug ’18 found first year Fallon Raviol, who netted her first collegiate goal. The Knights responded just before halftime to knot the game at one when a Carleton player took a deflection and scored.

No. 14 Virginia Fergusson ’18 crosses over a Carleton defender during Sunday's game | Courtesy of Flynn Shannon ’20
Virginia Fergusson ’18 crosses over a Carleton defender during Sunday’s game | Courtesy of Flynn Shannon ’20

In the second half, it was the Ladies’ leading scorer Maggie Smith ’17 who struck the deciding goal, following a deflection on a Blackwell corner kick.

“We played a complete game,” Camila Kirtzman ’18 said. “It’s good to see the freshmen getting involved in the attack and helping the team succeed.”

Maria Paparella ’20 played her first full game as the Ladies keeper and made two saves to solidify the win for Kenyon.

The goalkeeping duo of Paparella and Countey played a new rotation this weekend. In the first three games of the season, the pair split games, switching off at halftime. This Saturday and Sunday, both played one full game apiece. They fared well in net, saving a combined nine shots in the two games.

The Ladies aim to improve on their recent success in their upcoming match against Thomas More College (4-0-1; Crestview Hills, Ky.) Friday at 5 p.m.