Seeing off the seniors

Seeing off the seniors

BarnesSoccer2

Barnes clinches NCAC championship at home

In the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Championship finals on Nov. 7 (pictured here), Kenyon men’s soccer held a 2-0 lead over Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) with a minute left in the match. In a span of 30 seconds, OWU scored two goals to tie the game.

With just two seconds left in regulation time, Jordan Glassman ’17 received a pass in the OWU box and was fouled. Jeremiah Barnes  ’16 (No. 10) stepped up to the penalty kick opportunity and sank the game-winning goal to set the score at 3-2 and bring the conference championship to Kenyon.

LagasseTrack

Lagasse sets new Kenyon 5K record

At the Bison Outdoor Classic, hosted by Bucknell University (Lewisburg, Pa.) on April 16, Sam Lagasse ’16 ran the 5,000-meter race in 14 minutes, 23.36 seconds. Lagasse beat the previous Kenyon record of 14:53.16, which he set in 2014. (Pictured: Lagasse runs in the  NCAC Indoor Track and Field Championship on March 5.)

SymmesLax2

Symmes breaks record for career draw controls

In a game against the College of Wooster on April 2, Jane Symmes ’16, Ladies lacrosse midfielder, brought her career total for draw controls to 242, beating the previous Kenyon record of 239. She graduates from the team with 277 career draw controls in just three seasons. (Pictured: Symmes plays at home against Denison University on  April 19.)

Sports deal in the finite. Although the triple-overtime games and double-digit losing streaks seem to last forever, no game has gone unresolved and no career does not reach its close. With their Kenyon careers coming to an end, senior athletes reflect on their four years and discuss all the building blocks and growing pains along the way.

On adversity:

“Sophomore year it was really tough. It took me a while to learn you can’t control everything, especially in baseball. Even when you’re pitching well, you get outside breaks and bad bounces.”

– Paul Henshaw ’16, baseball pitcher

“Freshman year I sprained my ankle, and for eight months I couldn’t really run, so I was unable to stay fit. Sophomore year I was constantly dealing with my ankle being hurt. I realized I needed to take care of it, so I ran, stretched every day. I think I lost 30 pounds that summer.”

– Jeremiah Barnes ’16, men’s soccer midfielder

On leadership:

“I’m the youngest child. It was definitely a learning process.”

– Jane Ghublikian ’16, softball outfielder

“I always try to keep the mood light and happy. You know, I’ll ride their butts every once in awhile, but the people I’ve had to be a leader for are leaders themselves. We’re very lucky.”

– Maria Zarka ’16, diver

On career highlights:

“How far we’ve come as a program is pretty exciting. I mean, my freshman year I came in and there were 11 on us on the team. I’m leaving and there are 21 of us.”

– Katie Goulder ’16, volleyball outside hitter

“Any of the medley relays from last year, just watching those guys break the national record, jumping up and down on the sidelines, cheering them on.”

– Ryan Funk ’16, swimmer

On team impact:

“The best times from the past four years were being around the guys and just helping create a program where hopefully for people in the future, those will be their best memories.”

– Brien Comey ’16, men’s basketball center

On teammates:

“They have come to be my best friends. I can’t really think of my Kenyon growth without including them.”

– Samantha White ’16, women’s cross country and track runner

ShevelsonLax

Shevelson tamps down NCAC award

In recognition of a conference-leading 0.595 save percentage, the NCAC honored Patrick Shevelson ’16 on Wednesday with its Defensive Player of the Year Award for the 2016 men’s lacrosse season. Shevelson also received a spot on the All-NCAC team, an honor he has received all four years at Kenyon. (Pictured: Shevelson attempts a clear in an April 13 game against Oberlin College.)

ComeyBBall

Comey and Connolly put a bow on Senior Day

In a storybook ending to the regular season, Lords basketball beat Wabash College 82-76 in front of a buzzing home crowd on Feb. 20, the Lords’ Senior Day. Tim Connolly ’16 crossed the 1,000-point mark for his career with 33 points on the night, and Brien Comey ’16 swatted away nine shots, breaking the previous Kenyon record for blocks in a game of eight. (Pictured: Comey dunks in a Feb. 10 home game against Denison University.)

ZarkaDiving

Zarka competes in international diving competition, claims Kenyon records

On the weekend of Dec. 12, diver Maria Zarka ’16 took her talents to the international stage at the 2015 Oceania Championships in Australia, representing the Kingdom of Tonga at the meet.

Earlier that month, Zarka broke the Kenyon record for 11-dive competition on the three-meter board. She scored 551.60 points, surpassing the previous record of 524.05, which she set as a junior. Zarka also holds the Kenyon records in both six-dive competition on the three-meter board and 11-dive competition on the one-meter board, with scores of 304.65 and 523.90 respectively. (Pictured: Zarka dives in a Jan. 23 home meet against Wittenberg University.)

(Photos courtesy of Kenyon Athletics)