Softball continues slide, bringing loss streak to 10

Austen Whibley ’19 pitches on Saturday. Photo by Drew Meeker

Kenyon softball’s struggles continued on Wednesday afternoon, as the Ladies dropped both games of a doubleheader against Case Western Reserve Univeristy (Cleveland, 19-19). The Ladies (13-18-1; NCAC 2-8-0) lost the first game 10-0 in just five innings.

Kenyon remained scoreless on the day until the fourth inning of the second game, when they collected their only two runs of the evening. Case Western went on to win the game 10-2 in six innings.

The two losses push the Ladies’ losing streak to 10. Eight of those losses came at the hands of North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponents, putting Kenyon at eighth place in the conference.

Madi Maldonado ’18 scored Kenyon’s first run of the day, on a single by Lindsey Susolik ’16. Grace Pilz ’19 advanced to third base on the play.

Soon after, a sacrifice fly by Sophie Silberman ’19 sent Pilz over home plate to cut Case Western’s lead to three. But in the next two innings, Case Western notched five unanswered runs to put the game away.

The Ladies next play on Saturday at 1pm in a home doubleheader against Allegheny College (6-15; 2-6).