Men’s lacrosse rolls through conference opponents

Chris Ferraro ’18, pictured here in an eariler home match against Otterbein University, scored five goals in an 18-8 win at the College of Wooster on Tuesday. Courtesy of Kenyon Athletics

With most of the season behind them, Lords lacrosse has proven a victorious squad. Two weeks ago, the Lords (8-2; North Coast Athletic Conference 3-1) had their cage rattled by the fearsome Ohio Wesleyan University Bishops (9-2; 4-0). But they took the defeat in stride, and on Saturday overwhelmed the Wabash College Little Giants (4-5; 0-2) in a 24-6 victory on McBride Field, raising the team’s record to a solid 7-2.

This season, key players have dominated with stellar performances, but on Saturday the whole squad pitched in to defeat the diminutive Giants.

After an uncontested first quarter, veteran goalie Patrick Shevelson ’16 let younger players take over. In the next three quarters, Kenyon’s reserve goalies — Gabriel Avis ’17, Noah Gurzenski ’17 and Reed Levesque ’19 — each had a shot at lax glory against Wabash, and all three made Kenyon proud, foreshadowing a strong defensive corps for the years to come.

“We got to get a lot of guys in,” Josh Galardi ’18, the Lords’ attackman, said. “It was a great experience.”

Galardi has had an incredible season. Earlier this year, he scored 13 goals in the span of two games. But Galardi, like Shevelson, took a backseat and let his teammates take up the reins for an ensemble performance. Eleven players scored against the Giants, including sophomore Rob Guldenschuh, who had a breakout performance of five goals and one assist.

“It was a good team win, and the entire roster contributed with valuable minutes,” Head Coach Doug Misarti wrote in an email to the Collegian. “We now are preparing for a big week with games against strong Wooster and Wittenberg teams. The coaching staff has been happy with our overall development up to this point in the season. We are looking forward to an exciting week.”

On Tuesday, the Lords traveled to the College of Wooster (8-4; 3-1) and served the Fighting Scots their first conference loss of the season. Chris Ferraro ’18 scored five goals in the 18-8 victory, Nick Vitale ’19 contributed four and Galardi chipped in with two goals and two assists.

While the Lords are on top of their game, they have a hard road ahead of them: four more games this season, all against conference opponents.

All in all, the morale is high in lax land. Saturday’s game was definitive proof that the College’s squad is strong this year.

“I think we’re doing great,” Galardi said. “We only have a couple conference games left, and I think we’re going to win. And I think we’ll be in the postseason, so I’m looking forward to it.”

The Lords next play on Saturday against the Wittenberg University Tigers (6-4; 2-2) on McBride Field.