Lords lax topples Tigers, Yeomen

Lords lax topples Tigers, Yeomen

Jonah Florence ’18 evades Wittenberg defenders during Saturday’s win. Photo by Emily Stegner

Winston Churchill once said, “We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be.” On an unseasonably cold afternoon this past Saturday, Lords lacrosse defended its island.

The fearsome Wittenberg University Tigers (7-5; NCAC 3-3), like the wind on Saturday, proved an unrelenting opponent, fighting to the bitter end. The two-hour game consisted of a constant grappling for supremacy, with neither team able to take a substantial lead. Every time the Lords (10-2; NCAC 5-1) sunk the ball into the Tigers’ net, Wittenberg returned the attack with a volley of shots on Kenyon’s goal, ultimately managing to outshoot Kenyon 46-37.

Veteran goalkeeper Patrick Shevelson ’16 made a tremendous, 16-save effort. Josh Galardi ’18 struck at the heart of the Wittenberg defense and led the Lords’ offensive drive with three goals.

After a harrowing two hours battling in the bitter cold, the Lords approached the final whistle up 7-6. But the Tigers, sensing defeat, fought back. Wittenberg attempted an equalizer, getting a ball past the reinforced concrete wall that is Shevelson, but it was too little, too late. The Tigers got the ball in the net, but time expired just a second before and the officials waved off the goal. The Lords’ bench stormed the field, and the crowd roared.

On Wednesday the Lords again defended McBride Field, this time against Oberlin College (3-9; NCAC 0-5). Kenyon dominated the first half with eight goals to Oberlin’s one. Pierce Kraft ’18 scored all three of his goals before halftime. Kenyon maintained their intensity into the third quarter and took a 12-3 lead into the fourth. The Lords scored once more in the final quarter, an unassisted goal by Emilio Sosa ’19, before Oberlin launched a furious comeback attempt.

Oberlin scored seven straight goals in the fourth quarter to cut the Lords’ lead down to three with two minutes remaining. But Kenyon’s defense halted them there, and the Lords held on for the 13-10 victory.

The Lords’ record now stands at 10-2 — its best record after 12 games since 2008. This season has indeed proved one for the record books.

“We were very pleased with the Wittenberg win,” Head Coach Doug Misarti said. “We would have liked to have scored more goals, but our defense played great. All seven of our goals scored were assisted. The high effort on both sides of the ball is exactly what we need as we enter the final two weeks of the regular season.”