Lords’ add to historic winning streak with wins over Hiram

Playing in spite of a rain threat, the Kenyon baseball team won two North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) games on Wednesday afternoon in a doubleheader against Hiram College.

The two victories advanced their win streak to the program’s best in at least 50 years. Kenyon kept unreliable records of baseball game results before the 1965 season, so the active 10-game win streak may be considered record-breaking.

Pitcher Jesse Bogacz ’18 led the Lords (16-5; NCAC 4-0) to the accomplishment with a seven-inning shutout in the first game against Hiram (3-15; 0-4). Kenyon failed to score during the first four innings, but in the fifth Alec Manning ’18 circled the bases to reach home on a hit by Max Warren ’18.

Kenyon scored once more in the fifth, a single by Matt Contreras ’19 that sent John Nahra ’16 over home plate. Manning hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth to allow Chris Stevens ’17 to snag the final run of the game and seal the 3-0 Kenyon win.

Rain cut the second game short in the bottom of the sixth inning. Although Hiram avoided another shutout in the shortened contest, they managed just two runs, one in the first inning and the other in the third.

Bogacz stood strong on the mound, halting Hiram’s momentum every time they threatened to take off.

Kenyon’s offense sprinted out of the blocks. In the top of the first, the Lords loaded the bases with Contreras, Jackson Celestin ’17 and Matt von Roemer ’18. Phillip Nam ’17 stepped to the plate and knocked a grand slam to left-center field.

With an early 4-0 lead to work with, the Lords went on to score three more times in the second inning and once more in the third.

A Hiram error in the fifth allowed Kenyon to deal the final blow, scoring two unearned runs. Officials called the game just one hit into the top of the sixth, and the Lords left with their streak comfortably intact.

Kenyon baseball looks to keep the streak alive this weekend when they travel to play four games against the Fighting Scots at the College of Wooster (11-5; 2-2).