Ladies look for answers after second NCAC loss in a row

Jane Symmes ’16, pictured here in an earlier home match against Wittenberg University, set a Kenyon record for career draw controls in a 12-8 loss at Wooster on Saturday. Courtesy of Kenyon Athletics

A sodden field matched the Ladies’ somber spirits after their Saturday loss to the College of Wooster. The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team turned in a tough fight, but their continued struggles to control the ball led to a 12-8 defeat.

Kenyon (6-2; NCAC 0-2) traveled to Wooster (8-1; 2-0) with high hopes of bouncing back from their loss to Wittenberg University (7-2; 1-1) on March 26. The Ladies sprinted to a 5-1 lead in the first 20 minutes, but by the end of the half the Fighting Scots had erased that lead with haste; Wooster scored six unanswered goals in under five minutes, and Kenyon went into halftime down by two.

In the second half, Wooster tacked on five more goals, while Kenyon added just three. Kat Englert ’18 led the Ladies with three goals while Jane Symmes ’16 and Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 scored two apiece. On the defensive end, goalkeeper Allie Dumas ’18 made seven saves.

“We really thought we would be able to beat Wooster,” Symmes said. “Having those two conference losses in a row set the morale kind of low.”

The loss puts Kenyon sixth in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) standings. Still hunting for a conference win, the Ladies now look to turn their disappointment into improvement.

“Clearouts, transitions, all that kind of stuff was just pretty weak, so we’re trying to fix that,” Symmes said. “We decided on five things as a team that we need to work on.” Some of those points of focus include transitions in the midfield, shot placement, movement on offense and continued defensive effort, according to captain Lauren Earls ’16.

The Ladies can look forward to a favorable schedule in the weeks to come. The two losses to open conference play came against Wooster and Wittenberg, which hold the top two overall records in the NCAC. In their six remaining games, the Ladies will face only two teams who currently hold winning records: Ohio Wesleyan University (5-4; 0-1) and Oberlin College (7-3; 2-0). Their four other scheduled opponents have a collective winning percentage of .371.

Though Saturday’s loss  may have lowered team morale, the Ladies are poised to bounce back. Players still praise the team’s character and closeness. Beyond practices and games, the Ladies gather over weekly lunches and the occasional dinner cooked by the captains.

Saturday’s game left Symmes with a Kenyon record; she snagged four draw controls against Wooster and raised her career total to 242, the highest career mark in the history of Kenyon women’s lacrosse.

With their camaraderie and faith in their ability to improve, the Ladies remain confident in their quest for the postseason. The team next plays on Saturday in a home match against DePauw University (2-7; 1-1), on the Ladies’ senior day.