Men’s lax puts in herculean effort, loses to stellar Battling Bishops

No. 10 Josh Galardi ’18 curls toward the goal in a home win against Otterbein University on March 23. Courtesy of Kenyon Athletics

The Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) Battling Bishops manhandled the Kenyon men’s lacrosse team in a 14-7 win over the Lords on Saturday. The Bishops (7-2; North Coast Athletic Conference 2-0) delivered the Lords (6-2; 1-1) their second loss of the season. Ranked 11th nationally, the Bishops’ lacrosse team is particularly formidable this year.

The Bishops’ offense besieged goalie Patrick Shevelson ’16, whose herculean effort earned him a career-high-tying 21 saves. Shevelson has had an incredible season, holding the DePauw University Tigers (3-5; NCAC 0-2) to six goals and the Adrian College Bulldogs (Adrian, Mich.; 0-7) to just two. On the other side of the field, the Lords’ attack was unable to work their usual sorcery in the face of Ohio Wesleyan’s defense. The attack has had some incredible performances this season, fueled by Chris Ferraro ’18, Robert Jacobs ’17, Alex Lopez ’17 and Josh Galardi ’18, who has scored 12 goals over the last three games. The offense is a true ensemble, with a number of players sharing center stage. Though the Franklin and Marshall Diplomats (Lancaster, Pa.; 7-2) and OWU stymied the Lords’ lacrosse train, Kenyon is still well on its way to a strong winning season. The Lords hope to keep their winning going this Saturday against Wabash College (4-4; NCAC 1-1) on McBride Field.