Lording over the Britons, men’s lacrosse nabs home win

Patrick Shevelson ’16 stops a shot by the Britons, one of his 19 saves for the game, joined by no. 8 Nick Parker ’16 and no. 25 Chris Ferraro ’18. Photo by Jess Kusher

In their first home game of the season, men’s lacrosse scored a decisive victory against Albion College (Albion, Mich.) on Saturday.

It was nearing the half and the Lords’ prospects were looking uncertain at best, and grim at worst. Not only were the Britons (0-2) outscoring Kenyon in the second quarter, they had also won nearly every faceoff against the Lords (2-0). It was in this moment of uncertainty that the Britons lured goalie Patrick Shevelson ’16 — who proved nearly impenetrable — away from his net to score a cheap goal.

The crowd of Kenyon supporters voiced their displeasure with the Albion attackman. “You eat soup with your hands!” one supporter cried.

Another supporter joined in. “Your mother is upset with you!”

But the damage had been done. The second quarter came to a close with the score tied 5-5. Even after the Lords’ season-opening win at Capital University (Bexley, Ohio) on Feb. 24, Albion was proving to be a formidable foe.

The Lords, unwilling to give up the ship, knuckled down for a thrilling third quarter. Kenyon quickly scored before Albion retaliated, pulling ahead for a 7-6 advantage and leading for the first time since the start of the game.

The mere suggestion of defeat was like a cattle prod zapping the rear of a raging bull. The goaded Lords’ attack sent an endless volley of shots at the Albion goal. Chris Ferraro ’18 and Alex Lopex ’17 anchored the offense with a hat trick apiece.

When the dust settled, Kenyon was up 11-7 and Albion was a shadow of their former selves. Attackman Robert Jacobs ’17, who has had an electrifying start to the season with five goals against Capital and one against Albion, saw Kenyon’s performance in the third quarter as the pivotal moment of the game. “We just started scoring goals in the third and then we kept the lead,” Jacobs said. “One of those goals was a real backbreaker for them.”

Albion’s ball possession became increasingly erratic as the game drew to a close, and the Lords came out victorious with a 14-9 win.

Even after such a strong start to the season, the intrepid Lords are not counting their chickens. “I felt it was a good win for the team,” Head Coach Doug Misarti wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Beating an NCAA Tournament team and a conference champion from last season was meaningful, but we still have a way to go to get to our highest level. It was a good building block win and we are now back in practice working to get better for the next game.”

For now, the team’s confidence is high. “I’m looking forward to teams that we’ve lost to in the past, because I think we can really compete with them this year,” Jacobs said.

Over spring break, the team has four away games, which will determine whether their starting victories were a fluke or the standard for the rest of the season. The Lords will be back at Kenyon on March 23 for a home game against Otterbein University (Westerville, Ohio).