Top performers

With winter sports winding down and various end-of-season tournaments approaching, the Collegian highlights the performances of several notable student-athletes

Bailey Dominguez '17 kenyon athletics

Bailey Dominguez ‘17

Forward, basketball |  Indianapolis

On Monday, the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) named Dominguez athlete of the week for her strong play in Saturday’s victory over Allegheny College and in the team’s win over Oberlin College on Jan. 27. Between the two games, Dominguez scored 28 points, including eight 3-pointers. For the season, Dominguez is averaging 11.1 points per game, the top mark for the Ladies. Dominguez has also hit a total of 51 3-pointers this season, best in the NCAC. In total, Dominguez has played 658 minutes and scored 262 points for the Ladies this season. The Ladies play next on Feb. 6 in Gambier against Ohio Wesleyan University.

Maria Zaraka '16 kenyon athletics

Maria Zarka ‘16

Diver | Kanoehe, Hawaii

Zarka recently dove for her mother’s home country, the Kingdom of Tonga, in the Oceanic Games in Melbourne, Australia, placing seventh. Additionally, Zarka was named North Coast Athletic Conference  women’s diver of the year in both 2014 and 2015. This season, Zarka set yet another James A. Steen Aquatics Center record with a score of 551.60 in 11 dives on the three-meter board. The new record joins Zarka’s pool records for the three-meter board in six dives (304.65, set in 2014-15) and her 11-dive score of 523.90 on the one-meter board during the 2014-15 season. (Depending on the meet, six or 11 dives are scored.) Zarka was named a women’s swimming and diving all-American in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Tim Connolley '16 kenyon athletics

Tim Connolly ‘16

Guard, basketball | San Francisco

In the Lords’ win against Allegheny College, Connolly scored 27 points on 8-13 shooting from the field, dishing out eight assists. Ten of those points came from the free throw line. This season, Connolly has averaged 4.35 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 18.8 points per game. Connolly’s 18.8 points per game leads the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and his 4.4 assists per game is third in the conference. Connolly was named the NCAC athlete of the week on Dec. 13, after he scored a career-high 32 points against Allegheny on Dec. 8. Connolly has scored at least 15 points in 13 of the Lords’ 18 games this season and has started 17 of those games.