Lords tennis earns decisive win to start season

Lords tennis, ranked 10th nationally, started their season-long battle Sunday afternoon against the Indiana Institute of Technology (Fort Wayne, Ind.) at home.

“None of us were going into the Indiana Tech match 100- percent healthy, which proves how well we are able to fight as a team and pull out the win,” team member Michael Liu ’18 said.

Starting with the doubles competition, the Lords carried the day, dominating Indiana Tech’s Warriors in two matches and losing a close third. Sam Geier ’16 and Tristan Kaye ’17 started the day off with a victory over no. 1 doubles opponents Joaquin Ferrando and Nicholas Aquirre, winning the lone set 8-2. At no. 2 doubles Nicholas Paolucci ’19 and Nick Fiaschetti ’17 followed up with another 8-2 win over their Indiana Tech opponents. The Lords’ lone doubles loss came when Indiana Tech beat sophomores Alex Rieger and Peter Hazlett in two sets, 9-8, 9-7.

The Lords showed their outright dominance in the singles competition, winning all six matches. Geier and Liu led the way with solid performances, winning 6-4, 6-1 and 7-5, 6-3, respectively. Robert Turlington ’16 and Max Smith ’18 also beat their opponents, allowing their opponents to win just four of 29 total games. Further adding to Kenyon’s siege of Indiana Tech was Nicholas Paolucci ’19, who shut out his opponent in two sets, 6-0, 6-0, and Mike Roberts ’17, who won a close match in three sets, 6-1, 5-6 and 10-1.

After finishing the 2014-15 season with a solid 20-5 record, the men’s tennis team is looking to improve, and, hopefully, make a deep run into the postseason tournament. Achieving this goal will be an uphill battle for the Lords, who graduated six seniors last year, including some of their best players.

“This season will definitely be a lot different than last season,” Liu said. “However, many of us are stepping up to fill their shoes or determined to be even better. The lineups will not be as fixed as last year, which will create an incentive for every player to compete and work harder.”

With this win, the Lords move to 1-0 on the season, and look to add another win to the tally when they travel to Illinois to take on the University of Chicago on Feb. 5.