Lords basketball topples Allegheny, falls to Wooster

The 2015-16 season has been a tale of inconsistent play for Lords basketball. After a dominant 79-61 win over Allegheny University on Saturday ended a three-game losing streak for the Lords, Kenyon faltered Wednesday night down the stretch against the College of Wooster, losing 101-88.

Prior to the Lords’ three-game losing streak, the team had gone on a three-game winning streak. With the loss to Wooster, the Lords fell to 8-12, with a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) record of 5-8, placing them seventh out of 10 teams in the NCAC standings.

Last night, the Lords kept fairly even with Wooster for most of the first half and headed to halftime down just seven points. The Lords were unable to make up such a small deficit. A contributing factor to the Lords’ loss was the foul trouble of guard Tim Connolly ’16, who collected three fouls in the first half before fouling out of the game halfway through the second half. Connolly played just 20 minutes, scoring 14 points. Guard Alexander Powell ’18 led the Lords with 20 points on 5-10 shooting,with three 3-pointers while center Brien Comey ’16 scored 16 points.

Saturday’s game against Allegheny got off to a slow start for the Lords, who traded blows with the Gators through the first 20 minutes of the game, ending the first half with a 38-33 lead. Though the lead changed nine times in the first half, the Lords’ strong play in the second protected the lead they had played hard to earn.

The Lords outscored the Gators 41-28 in the final 20 minutes to secure a 79-61 win. Connolly proved essential to the Lords, scoring 18 points in the second half. Connolly finished with 27 points and eight assists for his third-highest scoring output of the year. This season, Connolly has averaged 19 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. Center Alex Laub ’18 and guard Matt Shifrin ’19 each had 10 points in the victory.

Comey had a big impact on the game as well, grabbing 12 rebounds while downing two highlight-reel dunks; his first came with nine minutes left in the first half, igniting a 12-0 run by the Lords. With four minutes remaining in the second half, Comey grabbed an offensive rebound off a missed layup and threw down a putback dunk, exciting the Lords’ bench. Additionally, Comey had a strong defensive impact, blocking two shots.

While they are currently in position to make the NCAC postseason tournament —the top eight teams in the conference make it—the Lords need to continue to play hard down the stretch run. All five of the team’s remaining regular-season games are against fellow NCAC teams.

The Lords next play on Saturday, when they take on NCAC-leading Ohio Wesleyan  University (18-2, 11-2 NCAC) at home at 3 p.m.