Ladies basketball to advance in NCAC

In their quarterfinal game of the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) women’s basketball tournament, the Ladies won 65-52 over the Hiram College Terriers. Kenyon (18-8; NCAC 11-5) dominated in the paint and stifled Hiram (12-14; NCAC 6-10) with disciplined defense.

Ifeoma Archimalo ’18 led all scorers with a season-high 16 points, scoring seven field goals on 12 attempts. Sharon Hull ’19 contributed nine points, Griffin Tullis ’18 grabbed 10 rebounds and Sidney Cera ’17 dished out five assists.

Kenyon took a big lead in the first half thanks to stalwart defense and a strong play from Archimalo. The Ladies forced 10 turnovers from the Terriers while giving up only one. On the offensive end, Archimalo scored 10 points in as many minutes. Poor three-point shooting by the Ladies, who went one-of-15 from behind the arc, kept Hiram within striking distance. At halftime, Kenyon held a 35-22 lead over the Terriers.

In the third quarter, the Ladies started slow and let Hiram cut the lead to as few as five points. Hiram adjusted defensively, sending aggressive double-teams at Archimalo to limit her scoring opportunities in the paint. The Ladies bounced back in the final minutes of the third to push the lead up to 10, and in the fourth they traded buckets with the Terriers and surged ahead at the end to seize the win at home.

With the victory, the Ladies have advanced to the semifinal round of the tournament to face the DePauw University Tigers (20-6; NCAC 13-3). Kenyon will face a tough rebounding battle against DePauw, which currently holds the conference’s leading rebounding margin. The Ladies will travel to Granville, Ohio to face the Tigers on Feb. 26 at 6 p.m.