Ladies basketball continues win streak, now at 6 games

Over the course of their six-game win streak, Ladies basketball has received strong contributions from every member of the team. On Saturday, strong offensive output from the bench led to a 61-57 road victory over the Allegheny Gators. With the win, the Ladies’ record now stands at 14-6, and 8-3 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). The team is tied with DePauw University for second place in the NCAC. Denison University holds the top spot with a record of 10-1.

Saturday’s game got off to a slow start for the Ladies, who fell behind 8-0 before scoring their first bucket on a layup by center Ifeoma Archimalo ’18 three minutes into the game. The Gators held onto their lead until the 2:50 mark in the first half, when first-year center Charlotte Bussema tied the game at 10 with a jumper. A minute later, Bussema put the Ladies ahead 14-13 with a layup. The Ladies did not trail again in the game. A strong second quarter for the Ladies gave them a 31-26 lead at halftime, and despite some Allegheny rallies that left the them with just a one-score lead, the Ladies held on for the victory.

First-year center Lane Davis was instrumental in the win, scoring 14 points on 5-6 shooting in 25 minutes off the bench to lead the team. For Davis, who leads the team in rebounds with an average of 6.1 per game, her scoring output of 14 was her second-highest as a Lady; she scored 15 points against Ohio Wesleyan on Dec. 22. Forward Griffin Tullis ’18 also played well, scoring 10 points and grabbing nine rebounds. Bailey Dominguez ’17 dropped three three-pointers for nine points. The team continued their strong defense, collecting six steals and three blocks while forcing Allegheny into shooting just 25.4 percent from the field.

While the team has recently entered an offensive surge, the Ladies have been led all season by their strong defense. “We take a lot of pride in our team defense, which has allowed us to close out tight games in the past,” guard Molly Rubin ’16 said. “I think our confidence has grown tremendously and that as long as we approach every game with this same attitude, we put ourselves in a position to win.”

The Ladies next play at home Saturday at 1 p.m. against Ohio Wesleyan University for their senior day game, before taking on NCAC leader Denison University next Wednesday.