Lords drop game to Oberlin

Lords drop game to Oberlin

After suffering a blowout loss to Ohio Wesleyan University before break, the Lords have gone on multiple losing and winning streaks. Their inconsistency leaves them with a 7-11 record on the season and a 4-7 record in conference play. Last night, the Lords fell 76-59 to the Oberlin College Yeomen. Guard Alexander Powell ’18 had 12 points in the loss for the Lords, who allowed the Yeomen to shoot 13-24 on 3-pointers.

Coming off three straight wins, the Lords fell to the Wittenberg University Tigers 78-70 on January 20. Wittenberg relied on a full-team effort, tallying 42 points in the paint with five separate players scoring in double digits.

Kenyon produced offensively as well, staying close throughout the game thanks to 28 points from the bench unit and superb shooting. The Lords shot 54 percent from beyond the arc, keeping Kenyon within striking distance for the full 40 minutes, even if they never proverbially struck.

Consistency is often mirrored by effort. “We’ve got to get back our identity that we had at the beginning of the year,” Ethan Shapiro ’17 said about the team’s hot-and cold-nature. “Energy has been big for us. During that win streak, we really tried to emphasize energy, especially on the bench.”

The Lords’ string of tough play continued Saturday, as the team lost 92-74 to the Hiram College Terriers. The Terriers’ 56 points in the paint and 20 forced turnovers were too much for the Lords to handle, despite solid performances from point guard Tim Connolly ’16 and guard Matt Shifrin ’19, who scored 17 and 19 points, respectively.