Ladies bball extends win streak to four

Over the last month, Ladies basketball has caught fire. While the team started the season on a successful note, going 5-3 in their first eight games, the Ladies appeared to really find their groove over winter break and have won eight of their last 10 games.

Last night, the Ladies won 55-51 against Oberlin College at home, hitting their free throws down the stretch to secure the victory.  The Ladies’ overall record now stands at 13-6 with a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) record of 7-3, a record that places them third in the NCAC standings.

The Ladies also earned a dominant 49-35 road victory over Hiram College on Saturday. In the win, forward Bailey Dominguez ’17 had a team-high 16 points on 7-17 shooting, but it was the team’s overall defense that stole the show. In holding Hiram to 35 points, the Ladies had their best defensive game since 2009, when they held Oberlin College to just 27 points.

“We had a lot to prove when we went to Hiram last weekend,” Dominguez said earlier this week. “Considering that they took a close game from us earlier in the season, holding them to 35 points in their own gym was very satisfying and definitely a testament to how much we’ve worked on our defense this year.”

Though the Ladies have played well this season, building a strong record, Dominguez understands the importance of consistency and focus as the Ladies starts to hit the playoff push.

“We have a very young team,” Dominguez said. “So as the games start to have more riding on them in these next few weeks, we just need to focus on consistent execution on both ends of the floor.”

The team has six games remaining, all against fellow NCAC teams, so it bodes well that the team has won their last four games. The Ladies next play on Saturday at 1 p.m against Allegheny College. againny College.