Track and field opens winter season

The Lords and Ladies’ indoor track season began on Saturday when a few students from each team competed in the Tiffin University Alumni Open (Tiffin, Ohio), where they performed against students from other Ohio colleges and universities in their first events of the season.

The Ladies ended up with four top-10 individual finishes in the unscored meet, led by Emma Levant ’16 and sophomores Joan Edwards and Devron Martin. Levant took seventh place in the 300-meter dash at 45.96, and sixth in the 60-meter hurdles at 9.83. Edwards took eighth in the 200-meter dash at 27.00 and Martin came in sixth in the triple jump with a leap of 33 feet, one inch.

On the field side of the competition, the Ladies’ top performer was Jadah Jones ’18, who took 20th in the weight throw with a heave of 36 feet and four and a quarter inches.

The Lords ended up with seven top-20 finishes, led by Alex Benthem de Grave ’16, sophomores Colton Orr and Ar’Reon Watson and Andrew Hall ’19.

Orr and Benthem de Grave took 19th and 20th, respectively, in the 300-meter dash, registering times of 39.68 and 39.80. Orr came in 19th in the 60-meter hurdles at 9.05, and Benthem de Grave came in 16th in the long jump at 19 feet, 11 inches.

Hall came in 20th in the 200-meter dash at 24.31 and took 13th in the 60-meter dash at 7.35. Watson took 15th in the 400-meter run at 56.49

Both teams will travel to the College of Wooster on Jan. 23 for the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Quad Meet.