NCAC foes no match for field hockey

NCAC foes no match for field hockey

Halloween saw its share of ghosts and things that go bump in the night, but it was Kenyon’s field hockey team that spent the weekend terrifying its opponents.

On Saturday, the Ladies traveled to North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival Denison University (12-7, 10-4 NCAC) and dismantled the Big Red with a 4-1 score. After trailing at the half, Kenyon (16-2, 13-1 NCAC) exploded for three goals in just over 10 minutes. Shannon Hart ’18 opened the scoring for the Ladies with a goal at the 38:35 mark, and Maddie Breschi ’16 added a goal of her own at 46:51. The nail in Denison’s coffin was Katelyn Hutchinson’s ’18 goal in the 52nd minute, which capped a furious Kenyon rally and put the game on ice.

“Prior to this weekend, we were having a bit of a lull, and everyone was a bit unsure of themselves,” Hutchinson said. “The chemistry was a little off between the midfield and the forwards and our defense was lacking communication. But when we came out in the second half against Denison, everything just clicked.”

The Ladies returned home on Sunday for their regular-season finale against Oberlin College (1-18, 0-14), and celebrated Senior Day in style with a 2-0 win against the Yeowomen. Kenyon got on the board early, scoring the only two goals of the game within the first six minutes of action. The Ladies’ defense carried them the rest of the way, allowing just two shots on goal in the contest.

“These back-to-back wins against Denison and Oberlin were great for our team,” Christine Bloom ’16, who scored her second goal of the season against Oberlin on Sunday said. “We had a hiccup when we lost to DePauw, and we were a little flustered. But this past weekend was a chance for our team to buckle down and prove to the NCAC that we’re the top team in the conference, and we did.”

The weekend victories helped the Ladies clinch the NCAC regular-season title for the second year in a row.

“These wins mean a lot to the team,” Head Coach Jacque Demarco said. “They have worked hard and put themselves in the best position for the NCAC tournament.” The Ladies enter the NCAC tournament as the number-one overall seed.

For seniors like Bloom, this tournament is especially meaningful. “People are intimidated to play us, and we have close to a perfect season,” Bloom said. “It feels great to be part of a team that has evolved so much.”

Kenyon beat Wittenberg University 1-0 at home on Wednesday in the first round of the NCAC tournament. The Ladies play DePauw University (14-4, 12-2 ) in the next round on Saturday as they continue towards their season-long goal of repeating as NCAC champions.