Lagasse earns honor in XC meet; Lords,Ladies rank low

The Lords finished eighth out of nine teams and the Ladies came in sixth in a field of eight teams at the 2015 North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) cross-country championship meet, hosted by Kenyon on Saturday.

Sam Lagasse ’16, running the final conference meet of his collegiate career, performed well enough to earn Second Team All-Conference honors, capping off an NCAC career in which he has perpetually been one of the Lords’ fastest and most consistent runners. Lagasse finished with a time of 25:49, coming in ninth out of 107 total runners. Fellow Lords senior Nat Fox ran a time of 26:55 for 32nd place, followed by Geoffrey Carney-Knisely ’18, who came in at 28:02 for 47th place.

Allegheny College won the men’s race with an overall score of 42, with three runners finishing in the top 10. Wabash and Oberlin Colleges finished second and third with scores of 55 and 75, respectively. Oberlin senior Geno Arthur topped the field of runners in an even  25 minutes to finish as the fastest runner at the meet. Logan Steiner of Allegheny College crossed the line eight seconds later to grab silver, beating out Wabash’s Fabian House, who finished third with an individual time of 25:20.

Like the Lords, the Ladies also fell to the Allegheny Gators, who won the women’s meet with a score of 51; the Ladies earned a score of 133, good for sixth place. Oberlin and DePauw University finished second and third.

The Ladies were led, as they have been all year, by Quinn Harrigan ’19, who performed well in her first collegiate championship meet, finishing 14th out of 95 runners with a time of 23:34. Harrigan finished just over a minute behind Sarah Fowler, a junior from Ohio Wesleyan University, who became the NCAC champion with a time of 22:32.

Despite the team’s low overall finishes, Head Coach Duane Gomez was pleased with how the Lords and Ladies raced on Saturday.

“We were hoping for a little higher places for both teams, but we felt that we had good overall performances,” Gomez said. “The NCAC is very strong in cross-country, with the top four NCAC men’s and women’s teams being nationally ranked or top five in the region.”

The Lords and Ladies next run on Saturday, Nov. 14 at the NCAA Great Lakes Regional, which will be held in Terre Haute, Ind. at the LaVern Gibson Cross Country Course.