Field hockey uprooted

Field hockey’s nearly undefeated season ended Saturday when the team lost in double overtime to DePauw University in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament championship game at home.

Kenyon (17-3) and DePauw (15-4) did not score during regulation and the game ended after two overtime periods that went to penalty shots and sudden-death penalty shots before DePauw claimed the victory.

The game started out briskly, with DePauw taking possession early on. Kenyon fought back to dominate gameplay. Sharp defensive moves by left back Kelsey Trulik ’18 kept many runs by DePauw’s offense away from the goal. Midfielder Weezie Foster ’18 took the ball up field many times, combining with leaders Shannon Hart ’18, Katelyn Hutchinson ’18 and Minke Verweij ’19 to take a total of 32 shots.

Ladies goalie Sarah Speroff ’18 saved a total of five goals and was credited with a shutout for the game, thereby breaking Kenyon’s single-season shutout record by one and raising her personal record to 13. Speroff was named to the All-NCAC Tournament team along with Trulik and Maddie Breschi ’16. Head Coach Jacqueline DeMarco was also named NCAC Field Hockey Coach of the Year for a second straight season.