Cross-country has strong individual performances

Lords and Ladies cross-country wrapped up their 2015 season over the weekend, participating in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Great Lakes Regional  in Terre Haute, Ind. The men’s team came away with a 21st-place finish out of 36 teams in the meet thanks to strong outings from seniors Sam Lagasse and Nat Fox, who placed 18th and 49th, respectively. Kyle Rose ’19 also turned in an impressive performance, running a time of 27:55.2 for a 144th-place finish out of 242 runners.

“Overall the team performed very well, both at regionals and throughout the season,” Rose said after the meet. “Heading into the championship race the team was rested and excited. This translated into some impressive individual performances and a great collective effort from the team.”

On the women’s side, Kenyon placed 14th overall out of 33 teams thanks to an impressive performance from Quinn Harrigan ’19, who came in 37th overall out of 226 runners with a time of 23:05.7.

Earlier in the year, Harrigan was the Ladies’ fastest runner in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) championship meet on Oct. 31, earning all-NCAC honors. Samantha White ’16 and Claire Naughton ’17 also impressed over the weekend, clocking in at 23:22.6 and 23:25.9, respectively.

“I think the team performed very well at regionals,” Harrigan said. “We thought a lot about strategy prior to the race and applied that strategy very well. We had a couple of injuries and physical setbacks that were limiting, but those will improve with time.”

Rose identified the leadership and chemistry of the team as one of it’s greatest strengths. “The resilience of this team is a testament to the superb leadership of the senior class and our captains,” Rose said. “From day one, they have fostered the atmosphere of hard work, dedication, and team unity necessary to be successful in this sport. Their leadership was invaluable and they will be very missed next year.”

For underclassmen like Harrigan, the season coming to a close means turning attention to the future. “Now we are all taking a short break to rest our legs and rejuvenate to be ready for winter track,” she said. “We will all be working really hard in indoor and outdoor track, which will serve as a base for our summer running in preparation for next year’s cross-country season. We are all excited to see what the coming years will bring.”