Volleyball loses to NCAC foes

Volleyball (6-7, 0-2 NCAC) is in the midst of a four-match losing streak after dropping three consecutive matches against conference foes, falling 3-1 to the Oberlin College Yeowomen (6-7, 2-0 NCAC) at home Friday and 3-0 on Saturday to Denison University (7-5, 1-0 NCAC) in Granville, Ohio.

“I think our youth showed a little on the court,” Carter Cassell, the Ladies’ assistant coach, said. “We played well in spurts. We just didn’t have the consistency that we needed.”

Nine of the 20 players on the Ladies’ roster are first years, six are sophomores, three are juniors and only one Lady is a senior. According to Cassell, having a young squad is not necessarily an obstacle. “I actually think youth is a benefit because we are young and we’re excited to be here,” he said.

The Ladies showed promise against the Yeowomen and almost pushed the game into a decisive fifth set, leading 17-10 after a kill by Schuyler Stupica ’18. Oberlin fought back to tie the match at 22, eventually taking the set 25-22 off two Kenyon errors. The Ladies lost the match three sets to one. Delaney Swanson ’19 led the team with 12 kills while Lauren Kerr ’18 led the team with six blocks.

Errors were once again the Ladies’ downfall as they took on Denison on Saturday; Kenyon committed 19 errors to Denison’s 10. Tierney McClure ’19 and Swanson each had nine kills. The Ladies, despite battling in the first set, dropped all three sets, losing 3-0.

“Both losses were tough,” Cassell said. “We didn’t think we played our best.” The Ladies lost again late Wednesday night 3-0 to conference foe Ohio Wesleyan University.

The Ladies will look to get back to their winning ways at Hiram College on Oct. 3.