Volleyball breaks four-game loss streak

Before last weekend, volleyball was 6-9 overall after losing four consecutive matches to North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponents. However, they showed last week that two matches against weaker competition can make the difference and ignite a squad. The Ladies dominated in every category Saturday at the Kenyon Invitational, defeating Waynesburg University (Waynesburg, Pa., 3-19) and Manchester University (North Manchester, Ind., 7-12) in straight sets to improve their record to 8-9 (0-4 NCAC).

With the wins, the Ladies got their spunk back. “It was our mental game that needed the most focus,” Schuyler Stupica ’19, who had 18 kills over the two matches and only two errors, said of the four-game losing streak. “We went into lulls and couldn’t keep the same level of intensity.”

While the Ladies faced weaker opposition at the invitational than during their losing streak, it was important for them to get some confidence being that the team is relatively young and inconsistent. The Ladies beat the Waynesburg Yellow Jackets by scores of 25-16, 25-10 and 25-14, with Stupica and Tierney McClure ’18 each picking up 10 kills and Jensen Shurbert ’18 dishing out 37 assists. Against Manchester, the Ladies faced tougher competition, but were still able to win comfortably, by scores of 25-19, 25-16, and 25-17. Delaney Swanson ’19 picked up her 10th double-double of the season with 10 kills and 12 digs.

The expectations for the Ladies this season have changed.

“We came into the season knowing that as a team, we have a lot of talent and we have the ability to win,” Lauren Kerr ’18, who had 10 kills and eight blocks over the two matches, said. The Ladies believe they are better than their 8-9 record shows, and are hungry for a return to NCAC competition. They face Muskingum University (New Concord, Ohio) on Oct. 16 in Tomsich Arena.