Lords ranked #1 overall for first time in Kenyon history

For the first time in program history, Lords soccer is ranked first in the nation.

Last weekend, the team (8-0-0, 1-0-0) opened its North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) play with a dominant 5-0 win over Wittenberg University (3-6-2, 0-1-0). Two minutes into the game, Woo Jeon ’18 fired a shot from 20 yards out into the lower-right-hand corner of the net, just barely out of reach of Wittenberg keeper Jack Snider. The Lords  also struck twice late in the half, in the 34th and 37th minutes. Both goals came off the foot of Alberto Carmona ’19, putting the Lords up 3-0 at halftime.

The second half brought more of the same, with Aaron Bogle ’19 scoring his first goal of the year, slipping the ball past the keeper in the 64th minute off a beautiful through ball from Tony Amolo ’17. Five minutes later, Bogle repaid the favor, crossing the ball to Amolo, who volleyed it over the outstretched hands of the Wittenberg keeper and into the top-left corner of the net, scoring his ninth goal of the year.

Following the win, and formerly top-ranked Tufts University’s (Medford, Mass.) loss to Brandeis University (Waltham, Mass.) this week, the Lords moved up to number one in Division-III soccer in two national polls. Throughout the year, the Lords have consistently impressed and ably compensated for the loss of many talented seniors. Coming into the season, the Lords were ranked ninth in the country, and have steadily climbed in the rankings since, moving from third in the country, to second, to first in consecutive weeks.

“We understand it is a challenging position and we need to be consistent to maintain it,” Amolo said. “On the other hand, it’s just a mid-season ranking. The final season rankings matter the most. The games are going to get harder as we play our conference teams”

The Lords look to defend their new rank in the nation against DePauw University (6-1-2) on Oct. 3 at home. Wednesday’s game against Case Western Reserve University was postponed due to poor field conditions. A makeup date has yet to be determined.