Lords defeat Ohio Wesleyan 2-1 in NCAC showdown

Lords soccer added two more victories to their record by beating the Allegheny Gators on Saturday and the Ohio Wesleyan Battling Bishops Wednesday evening.

Saturday’s game against Allegheny started with a bang as Tony Amolo ’17 fired a shot blocked by Gator goalie Jake Pugliese. The Lords (14-1, 7-1 NCAC) kept the pressure on the Gators’ defense, taking five more shots by the end of the half, none of which found the back of the net. The half ended with both teams scoreless,  despite the Lords pressuring OWU’s defense.

The Lords carried their offensive activity into the second half, in which their offense sought a breakthrough. Forward Woo Jeon ’18 came through for the Lords 20 minutes into the second half, claiming the ball after it deflected off an Allegheny defender, then placing it in the back of the net. This was Jeon’s sixth goal of the season. Amolo struck again 15 minutes later, finding the net off a Billy O’Neil ’18 cross for his 14th goal of the season.

On Wednesday, Kenyon, ranked first among North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) teams, took on rival and 17th-ranked nationally Ohio Wesleyan University (13-3-2, 6-1-1 NCAC), who were undefeated in the NCAC prior to Wednesday’s game.

The first half started off with a quick pace as both teams had opportunities within the first five minutes of the game. Amolo scored the first goal of the game in the eighth minute of play, as he gathered the ball from a rebound off the post and slotted it into the bottom-left-hand corner of the net, just out of reach of the OWU keeper.

The Battling Bishops fought back with a goal nine minutes later by Neil Wilson, who dribbled past goalie Sam Clougher ’17 and passed the ball into the back of the net. Later in the half, Clougher saved the Lords with a spectacular breakaway save that he deflected over the bar to keep the score 1-1 going into the half.

This tie was short-lived for the Battling Bishops as Jordan Glassman ’17 collected a loose ball in the box and found the back of the net for his fifth goal of the season, giving the Lords a 2-1 lead early in the second half. This score would hold, as Clougher and Kenyon’s defense came up big and did not concede the tying goal to OWU.

Heading into the last game of the season, and the NCAC tournament, the Lords are attempting to limit mistakes, which were the cause of a number of goals the team allowed earlier in the season.

“We are just taking it one game at a time” O’Neil said on Monday. “We are making sure we show up ready to go each time we step on the field. Once we hit the postseason, there won’t be any room for us to slip up.”

The Lords look forward to their last game of the season, against Wabash College on Saturday at home, as they try to end their season on a high note.