Ladies soccer collects key victory over rival Big Red

In a close double-overtime match for their annual senior game on Saturday, Ladies soccer (10-5-1) handed conference rival Denison University (12-2) their first conference loss of the season and clinched a double-digit win total for the second year in a row.

With the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament set to begin the first week of November and only a few games remaining in the regular season, the victory over Denison may end up playing a pivotal role in seeding for the November tournament.

The top four teams in the conference make the tournament, and regular-season head-to-head records serve as tiebreakers in regards to seeding. The Ladies are tied for second with Denison and are two games ahead of fourth-place Wittenberg University (7-4-2), against whom they would also win the tiebreaker.

“It was really exciting,” defender Marie Laube ’16 said. “We always want to get a win at senior game, but the game was also really important conference-wise. We don’t want other teams in the conference to go undefeated in the NCAC, so it was great to give them their first loss. We still have some conference games and if all goes well we’ll be in the NCAC tournament and have another postseason run.”

A close defensive match from the get-go, both teams managed to combine for only four shots on goal the entire match. In the first overtime, Olivia Lloyd ’16 headed a corner from Gillian Blackwell ’18 that hit the top crossbar. Later in the first overtime, Denison had a chance to seal the victory, but Ladies goalkeeper Alissa Poolpol ’16 made a diving save to extend the match.

During the 103rd minute, in the second overtime period, Blackwell tapped a pass to Maggie Smith ’17. A few yards outside the penalty area Smith chipped a shot that hit the bottom of the goalpost and bounced off the goalie’s hand into the net for the 1-0 victory. It was Smith’s eighth goal of the season and Blackwell’s fourth assist.

“It was beautiful,” Head Coach Kelly Bryan said. “Maggie is always a threat. She’s a very smart player. She’s always attacking. It was great to see her get rewarded for all that hard work. She had a great one-time shot. Whenever you win in overtime, because of the nature of it, it’s golden goal, it makes it more exciting because you can go out onto the field and celebrate right after the goal is scored.”

The Ladies also played at Oberlin College (5-6-2) last night, tying the Yeowomen 0-0 in a game that finished in double overtime. The Ladies play their last away game of the regular season on Saturday at 1 p.m. against Allegheny College (3-9-2), and their final home game against Ohio Wesleyan University (1-11-1) Wednesday at 4 p.m.