Ladies drop 11-game win streak

Kenyon field hockey saw its 11-game win streak end on Saturday as fellow North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) team DePauw University overcame the Ladies 3-0. Kenyon (14-2, 11-1 NCAC) bounced back the next day, shutting out Earlham College 4-0.

Applying heavy offensive pressure, the DePauw Tigers (11-2, 10-2 NCAC) kept the Ladies’ defense on their heels for most of the first half. “They were pushing mids, forwards and their two outer D to rush up on us,” midfielder Kelsey Trulik ’18 said. “I think we had difficulty recovering and I think people were tired.” DePauw broke the scoreless tie at the 22:22 mark in the first half when DePauw’s Grace Goodbarn sent an airborne pass into the middle to assist fellow Tiger Natalie Abbott, who knocked the ball inside the far post for the goal.

With Kenyon unable to tally the equalizer, DePauw’s Paige Berliner extended her team’s lead to 2-0 at 59:05. Pulling a loose ball out to the top of the shooting circle, Berliner turned her back to the cage and smacked a chip shot over the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Sarah Speroff ’18 and under the crossbar for the goal.

Berliner scored a second goal with less than four minutes left in the game, after a collision between Speroff and defender Morgen Barroso ’16 left the Ladies’ goal unprotected. 

Head Coach Jacque Demarco felt that DePauw played well against her team, and hopes the Ladies can put forth a full 70-minute effort in future matches. “I think DePauw played a nice game,” Demarco said. “We had moments where we played a nice game, but we didn’t play a full game on Saturday.”

After suffering their first loss in 12 games, the Ladies took to the field the next day intent on starting a new winning streak. “I think everyone was mad,” Trulik said on the team’s performance against DePauw. She said the team “wanted to come out, redeem themselves, and put forth a good win.”

The Ladies came out firing against the Earlham Quakers (4-11, 3-9 NCAC), logging 10 shots and three goals all in the first half. Shannon Hart ’18 gave Kenyon the early lead about seven minutes into the contest, scoring her 10th goal of the season. Later in the first half, co-captain Maddie Breschi ’16 got on the board off an assist from Christine Bloom ’16, making the score 2-0. Katelyn Hutchinson ’18 got in on the scoring with an unassisted goal at the 28:15 mark, and Breschi added her second goal of the game, this time off a feed from Hannah Drake ’16, to finish off the scoring for the Ladies. Speroff made seven saves in the 4-0 victory, logging her 10th shutout of the season.

The Ladies will travel to Granville to face Denison University (11-6, 9-3 NCAC) Saturday before returning home to host Oberlin College (1-15, 0-12 NCAC) for their Senior Day on Nov. 1.