Ladies down Wooster, Hiram

Since their narrow 1-0 home loss to conference rival DePauw University on Oct. 3, a game in which they nonetheless outshot the Tigers 19-9, Ladies soccer has secured two straight 2-0 conference wins, against the College of Wooster and Hiram College.

Led by North Coast Atlantic Conference (NCAC) player of the week Gillian Blackwell ’18, who had a goal and an assist against Wooster (9-4-1) and two goals against Hiram (4-10), the Ladies (9-5) now stand tied for second place in the NCAC with four games left in the regular season.

In a hotly contested match that resulted in a combined 16 fouls, Blackwell headed an assist to Emma Klug ’18, who tapped a shot into the upper-right corner 10 minutes into the first half at Wooster. Blackwell then added an unassisted goal from the top of the box.

“It was a very physical game,” Head Coach Kelly Bryan said. “That’s typically how Wooster likes to play. There is always an adjustment period to the contact. It helps us keep our game sharp.”

At Hiram, Blackwell scored two goals, unassisted, in two minutes, with the first coming on a breakaway 20 minutes into the first half.

Led by staggering defense and solid goalkeeping, the Ladies notched two straight shutouts, their sixth and seventh of the year. Alyssa Poolpol ’16 lowered her goals-against average (GAA) to 0.64, third among goalkeepers in the NCAC. Blackwell moved into a tie for third in the NCAC with six goals, and forward Maggie Smith ’17 is currently second with seven.

Up next for the Ladies is their Senior Day game against first-place Denison University (12-1) Saturday on McBride Field at 1 p.m.

“Families might make a special effort to come down,” Assistant Coach Becca Romaine ’15 said. “It’s a great experience, and I’m looking forward for them to have that day.”