Ladies clinch spot in NCAC tournament

A 3-0 victory over Ohio Wesleyan University last night secured Ladies soccer’s spot in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) postseason tournament. With their season on the line, the Ladies (11-6-1) had a week off from games to practice after tying with Oberlin College on Oct. 21.

The game was originally a home game for the Ladies, but nearly two inches of rain over the course of Tuesday night resulted in unplayable conditions at Mavec Field. Instead, the game was played at Energy Field, a turf field belonging to Mount Vernon High School.

The Ladies had plenty to think about prior to the game. In spite of the critical nature of the game, Head Coach Kelly Bryan had faith in her team’s ability. “We are expecting a battle and are confident that we will give our best effort,” Bryan said before the game against OWU on Wednesday morning.

The game started off as competitively as Bryan expected, with both teams held scoreless in the first half. OWU was limited to just three shots in the first half, while the Ladies constantly pressured the OWU defense, taking 15 first-half shots.

The OWU defense finally cracked at the beginning of the second half when Kenyon forward Maggie Smith ’17 scored at the 47-minute mark off a pass from midfielder Tess Austin ’18. Just over a minute later, midfielder Lucy Evert ’16 doubled the lead to 2-0 with her first goal of the season. The Ladies capped off their second-half surge at the 81-minute mark when Emma Klug ’18 scored for the fourth time this season.

Though enthused with the win, Bryan does not want the team to get too far ahead of themselves. “We honestly just have to take it one game at a time from now on,” Bryan said before the game Wednesday morning. The victory  against OWU clinched a postseason spot for the Ladies, who will begin their run into the NCAC playoffs on Nov. 4.