Section: Football

Football earns second conference win of young season

This Saturday, Lords football (2-2, 2-1 NCAC) emerged victorious for the second-straight week, picking up a 32-17 win over the Allegheny College Gators (0-3, 0-2 NCAC). Leading the way for the Lords was Jake Bates ’16, who threw three touchdowns on 21-25, passing for 276 yards. For his outstanding performance, Bates was named North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Player of the Week.

“[Bates] has gotten better every week,” Head Coach Chris Monfiletto said. “In the first week of the season, we had a lot of dropped balls and the dropped balls have decreased over the course of the last four weeks, so that’s helped him out a ton, too.”

On their first possession of the game, the Lords worked their way down to Allegheny’s 18-yard line. Facing a third-and-10, Bates threw a short pass to Blake Calcei ’16, who made the catch just past the line of scrimmage and proceeded to dash down the right sideline and into the end zone for the score. On the ensuing two-point conversion, John Clark ’18 plowed through the Allegheny line to give Kenyon an 8-0 lead.

After the Lords’ defense forced Allegheny to go three-and-out on their first possession, the Lords engineered a 12-play, 61-yard scoring drive that Calcei capped off with a one-yard touchdown run. Lining up for another two-point conversion, Clark put his passing abilities on display, finding Greg McIntosh ’16 in the back of the end zone to extend Kenyon’s lead to 16-0.

On their next drive, Allegheny found success by running the spread option. After picking up a 43-yard gain on the ground, Allegheny running back Tyler Smith got the Gators on the scoreboard with a three-yard touchdown run. Following the extra point, Allegheny trailed Kenyon 16-7. They then attacked Kenyon after forcing a punt on the ensuing drive, ending with a 25-yard touchdown pass, making the score 16-14.

Converting on a 27-yard field goal attempt, Szabi Simo ’17 and the Lords tried to put some distance between themselves and Allegheny. The Gators responded with a 31-yard field goal of their own to bring the score to 19-17.

Intent on extending the Lords’ lead, Bates started off the Lords’ next drive with a bang, hitting Brian Hunca ’17 38 yards down the left sideline to put the Lords in the red zone. Facing a third-and-11 from the Allegheny 14-yard line, Bates connected with Ian Bell ’18 for six. After Simo’s extra point, the Lords recovered their two-possession lead, going into halftime ahead 26-17.

In the third quarter, Bates found Hunca for a six-yard touchdown pass to move the Lords’ lead to 32-17, where it would stay for the rest of the day. Although the Lords couldn’t muster any more points in the second half, the Lords’ defense stymied the Allegheny offense, keeping the Gators out of the end zone for the remainder of the game.

Lords football returns to McBride Field on Saturday when they take on DePauw University (3-0, 2-0 NCAC) for a 1 p.m. game.