Field hockey extends perfect conference record

Field hockey tallied two wins last weekend, bringing its North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) season record to 8-0 and its overall record to 11-1. The team notched 6-0 scores against both Wooster College (2-11, 1-7 NCAC) and Oberlin College (1-11, 0-8) in a pair of away games on Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday at Wooster, Katelyn Hutchinson ’18 led the team with two goals, while teammates Maddie Breschi ’16, Julia Richards ’17 and Weezie Foster ’18 added a goal apiece. Sunday brought an identical final score in the Ladies’ win against Oberlin. Breschi scored two goals, Foster one, and Sam Grunder ’19 and Minke Verweij ’19 also added one each.

“I’m proud of the effort our team put forth,” Head Coach Jacqueline DeMarco wrote in an email. DeMarco said she was proud to see her athletes supporting one another and attributed the Ladies’ success to the whole team.

Over the two games last weekend six players took 21 shots on goal.

“You don’t really see this many different goal-scorers in a lot of other teams, so I think that makes us a special team,” Breschi said. “Especially in the offensive realm — just having the ability to have a multitude of players score and contribute.”

Sunday’s game against Oberlin brought contributions from two first years, as Verweij scored her third goal on the season and Grunder her first.

“It was amazing” Shannon Hart ’18 said remembering Grunder’s goal against Oberlin. “We were playing 5-0, and a bunch of girls got on from the bench and they were on fire the second they hit the field.” She said Kenyon dominated possession of the ball as they crossed the field to score. “It was beautiful, just a good moment.”

“It’s a great time to be a Kenyon Lady,” DeMarco wrote, reflecting on the team’s younger players and their growth as student-athletes this season.

“We’re definitely gonna have a target on our back,” Breschi, who currently leads the team with 11 goals, said. “I think we just have to recognize that every team is going to bring it, and we have to keep playing our best and playing hard against every opponent.”

Hart wants the team to focus. “I think it’s very easy to get comfortable in a winning streak, but we need to not feel big-headed or comfortable,” Hart said. “We need to know what we want, and if we want to make it to the championship we’re going to have to fight the whole way to get there.”

The Ladies play Ohio Wesleyan University today at 4:30 p.m. on McBride Field.