After first loss, men’s soccer tops two conference rivals

The Lords’ season-long unbeaten streak ended on Oct. 3 against conference foe DePauw University, who defeated the then-top-ranked Lords in 1-0 in overtime. The Lords have since regained their winning ways, defeating the College of Wooster 6-1 and Oberlin College 1-0. 

The match against DePauw was physical, going back and forth from the beginning, with both teams finding opportunities to shoot in the first half. In the first two minutes of the game, Henry Myers ’18 headed the ball to the net for a narrow miss. Eight minutes later, goalie Sam Clougher ’17 was forced to save a shot from DePauw’s E.J. Moore.

During the second half, the tide seemed to turn in favor of the Lords, who despite having many chances to score, could not capitalize on their opportunities. Dalton Eudy ’17, Jordan Glassman ’17 and Brice Koval ’19 all saw their shots get saved by the DePauw keeper or sail away from the goal. However, the defense stepped up, allowing DePauw only one shot on goal and helping force overtime.

In the waning moments of the first overtime, DePauw player Zach Hoffman found the back of the net off a throw-in cross that dropped right in front of him.

After the tough loss, the Lords rebounded against the College of Wooster, earning a 6-1 win and improving their record to 9-1. Despite the big win, the match did not start well for the Lords. After a scoreless first half, Wooster found the net first in the 48th minute of the game. This sparked a fire in the Lords, who scored in the 59th minute to tie the game, and followed that with five more goals. Five different players scored the Lords’ six goals.

“I think we are working very well when we attack,” Alberto Carmona ’19, who scored his third goal of the season against Wooster, said. “When we move the ball fast is when we are most effective. We have a lot of quality in the middle and we have to take advantage of that.”

The Lords added another win to their record on Wednesday, beating Oberlin College 1-0 at home. In the first half, it was an evenly matched game despite a plethora of great opportunities for the Lords, who were kept out of the net by a number of great saves from Oberlin goalkeeper Koryn Kraemer. Kenyon finally broke through in the second half with a goal from forward Tony Amolo ’17, who received a through ball from Woo Jeon ’18 and, with only the keeper to beat, slotted the ball into the corner of the net.

The Lords have scored at least two goals in all but two of their games, with Amolo’s 11 goals leading Kenyon’s offense.

With a dent in their once-perfect record, the Lords dropped eight spots in the national rankings and are now the ninth-ranked team among Division-III schools in the nation. Kenyon looks to improve its record  next Saturday at Denison University.